Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How well timed are hand guards really?

Feedback Score

How well timed are hand guards really?

I posted some pics of my new build a few days ago, and while fondling it today, I noticed that the rail on the hand guard isn't *perfectly* aligned with the rail on the upper. It is maybe .5 to 1 degree of rotation. You have to look really hard to see it, really you can only feel it if you rub two fingers along the interface point.

So, my question is, is it worth taking everything apart, cleaning the locktite off of the bolts, and putting it back together? Will this impact zeroing the iron sights on it?

It doesn't bother me visually, but I don't want it to impact it's usability.

Thanks,

JRC

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    Depends on how much it bothers you. I bridge the gap between the upper and rail with a scope mount before I tighten the rail. Keeps them aligned without issue in my experience.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    As long as it zeros, it's fine. Tolerance stacking is the reason there are adjustments on irons and optics. FWIW, I use a Trijicon TA 51 ACOG mount left over from a past fling with a TA31: it's long enough to span the front of the upper receiver and when tightened down, it times the hand guard to the upper fine. Lock everything down, remove TA 51, and you're GTG>

Feedback Score
    That's the thing, I did that too. The Geissele instructions said to do that, so I suppose it's close enough.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You can leave it. Fixing it will certainly change zero on irons. I'm super anal about this, and never let it get past the install stage without correcting it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    That's the thing, I did that too. The Geissele instructions said to do that, so I suppose it's close enough.
    Ive had really good luck with my G rails lining up with little to no gap as well. Curious what upper receiver you are using?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Do you even time, bro?

It would bug the sh!t out of me, personally.

I would correct it. It's always fun to work on your stuff.

Feedback Score
    It's a Geissele MK8 rail and a Fortis billet upper.

Here are some pics I snapped to give you all an idea. What do you think? I appreciate your input.

JRC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    While it's hardly noticeable, I would take the time to fix it. I'm very particular about that sort of stuff and have had to make adjustments many times to "fix" little issues. Seeing as how you notice it is slightly misaligned and took the time to post about it I would say that's a good indication you should go ahead and take care of it.

Feedback Score
    I took the anti-rotation set screws out, unscrewed the cross bolts, cleaned the loctite off of them, timed the rail so that it looked right, put a scope mount across the interface, applied loctite to the cross bolts and torqued them down, applied loctite to the set screws, torqued them down then took off the mount.

It's exactly the same I'll just have to live with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast