Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Knight's Armament Owner w/questions. Please Help

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    All my KAC stuff arrived bone dry, and any handling leaves skin and fingernail residue. Give the gun a good soak in oil overnight, and let the finish saturate. Wipe the excess off in the morning.
    I would agree with this. It's amazing how dry they are when you get them. I usually spray a generous amount of Ballistol over the exterior and then wipe it down lightly so that there's still a film on it. Then I let it sit for a few days muzzle up and let the Ballistol run down. I usually put the stock on a piece of cardboard so it'll soak up the excess oil. After that I wipe it down and the finish looks good.

I imagine any kind of lube, CLP, oil will work, it seems the trick is to be generous with the oil.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Anodizing is a pain. Seriously. Aluminum comes in different grades, and there are several ones used on your rifles. Each one (6061 vs 7075 for instance) takes tumbling, bead blasting, and hard coat anodizing differently, resulting in mismatching finishes. Plus hardly anyone anodizes all the parts in the same batch at the same time (and even doing this doesn't always give matching finishes).

If your maximum distance is 300 yards, a 1-4 or even a red dot may be enough optic depending on what you intend to shoot at (Paper? Steel?). A 4-16 is kind of overkill at those distances, in my opinion. A "medium" distance rifle to me would be 400-600 yards, where a 1-6, 1-8, or 2.5-10 would serve you well. It comes down to what your intended uses are. If you want to shoot groups on paper, more magnification would be beneficial.

Asking about lube will generate a million different answers and a lot of hateful responses. Use whatever you have handy.
    Will, thanks for this info. I have bought multiple Arisaka light mounts. And I am currently waiting delivery of my SR-15 Mod 2 14.5" Mlok from Ayan at BC, so your post was very helpful to me, thanks!

I had him pin and weld (felt kind of awful about doing that but had to) my BE Meyers ASR FH which my Saker will mount to. I think it'll look pretty bad a** on it too! Excited for this to be my carbine, and working on an SBR next (finally).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Treviso View Post
    I am wanting to go with a higher power scope for the 18" KAC and would welcome any recommendations. My thoughts are leading me towards either a KnightForce NXS 2-10X or a Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50. I am also considering a Trijicon AccuPower 4-16x and Leupold VX-6 or VX-R Patrol. Any other brands and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    My 50 year old eyes need help and I am wanting this 18" KAC to be a medium distance gun for me (100-300 yards). It is pretty lightweight and bad arse.
    I am more excited than a kid at Christmas right now. Please help!
    Robert

I am currently using a Vortex 4-16 on my LPR. I could pull it off and use my "nicer" Vortex Optics scope on it, but this one works so well I just can't see the point. I understand the scope looks massive with the sunshade on, and I also under the Spuhr mount looks bulky, but that doesn't bother me in the least. The weapon is very accurate, and the scope plays along doing whatever I need it to. My eyes aren't what they used to be, and this package gives me target identification and capabilities well past the 300 marker.

Link to the scope for more info if you are so inclined.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...-1-moa-reticle

Last edited by Stickman; 10-18-16 at 00:44.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would look at the Leupold Mk6 3-18 for the LPR. The NF 2-10 is another awesome option though.

I never paid much attention to the finish on my KAC as its a working gun. I've been using frog lube but I'm going back to Red Line 10-30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I am currently using a Vortex 4-16 on my LPR. I could pull it off and use my "nicer" Vortex Optics scope on it, but this one works so well I just can't see the point. I understand the scope looks massive with the sunshade on, and I also under the Spuhr mount looks bulky, but that doesn't bother me in the least. The weapon is very accurate, and the scope plays along doing whatever I need it to. My eyes aren't what they used to be, and this package gives me target identification and capabilities well past the 300 marker.

Link to the scope for more info if you are so inclined.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...-1-moa-reticle

Gorgeous gun and pictures, Stickman. Thank you for your reply. I think the scope looks amazing on your KAC! My eyes are pretty terrible these days and I need some high power help too!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I would look at the Leupold Mk6 3-18 for the LPR. The NF 2-10 is another awesome option though.

I never paid much attention to the finish on my KAC as its a working gun. I've been using frog lube but I'm going back to Red Line 10-30.

So, basically Red Line 10-30 is just a motor oil, correct? Sounds totally reasonable to me. We are paying a lot of extra money for oils packaged into small packages when we can buy a quart of motor oil so much cheaper (and probably better, if not exactly the same).

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    So, basically Red Line 10-30 is just a motor oil, correct? Sounds totally reasonable to me. We are paying a lot of extra money for oils packaged into small packages when we can buy a quart of motor oil so much cheaper (and probably better, if not exactly the same).
    While motor oil will keep a gun running, it will not do what a good modern firearm specific product can do.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It's a motor oil. I use the 10-30 race oil as it has higher amounts of ZDDP. I got the idea when I bought some Lucas gun oil a few years ago and noticed the stuff felt like 30 WT motor oil that was colored red. I use Red Line brand as its a true full synthetic. The things I've noticed about the Red Line, it stays put fairly well, is super slippery, resists burn off and makes carbon clean up easy. If you think about it, the insides of s motor are somewhat similar to the inside of a firearm in all reality.

Feedback Score
    1st post is I bought 2 KACs, an Elcan, and trying to decide which other uber scope to buy. Most unusual, good for you. Usually its more like why did the MD fly off my DPMS.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PrevailFI; 10-18-16 at 14:07.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I run a Vortex 2.5-10x32 FFP/Mil Reticle on my 18" gun and that combination has been good out to about 700+. Even that 16" gun with the Elcan is a solid 300m gun. If I had the scratch a Leupold 3-18 or a would be on the gun, but that gun is pretty much a "hobby" gun for me.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast