Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: BRT 16" OPTIMUM Barrel w/ Extended Length Gas System

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Good data and makes sense! I'd call it a "choked" bore though, honestly, but I know that doesn't sound sexy.

Eta: I thought more about it...still doesn't make sense. The reamer is sloooowly moved. Even a tapered reamer gets you a straight bore even at the end, unless it stops moving, hammering happens, and then it's all of a sudden just pulled out.
    Last edited by WS6; 11-21-16 at 16:18.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    So, for everyone who's got barrels coming,

What are your build plans and how are you going to use it?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    SMOS set. General purpose.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I'm thinking of doing a lightweight RDS build. While my Sionics medcon build is excellent in every way, a few injuries have aged my shoulders exponentially and I think I would benefit from a lighter carbine. I'll move my Aimpoint from the medcon build to the Optimum build and put a LPV on the medcon.

Edit-I'll probably sell a different upper to fund the Optimum build for the price of the barrel just to get started. I've wanted to do a lightweight upper for a while, but haven't felt justified without some quantifiable performance gain. I didn't realize how smooth a non-competition upper could run until I tried a Sionics barrel, so having a lighter AND smoother upper seems to be something I'd like.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 11-21-16 at 19:00.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    SMOS set. General purpose.
    Outstanding. I've got my Aero Precision upper, KMR-A 13, Aimpoint T1 4 moa on a Larue LT660, LMT gen 1 e-carrier, LMT std phosphate bolt, and gun fighter mod small charging handle.

I'M READY!

I already used the Brownells upper receiver truing tool to true the face of the upper receiver. After my first few turns, less than 1/4 of the receiver face was making contact with the tool. The tool fit so tightly in the upper, mind you, that i had to heat the upper slightly to fit the tool inside.

A few minutes of hand turning with some jewelers rouge and i now have full contact.

Just waiting on my barrel, Noveske branded BE Meyers 249 ASR, and SLR Rifleworks Ti .625 set screw adjustable gas block (both have been shipped already).
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Going to ring this thing out at 500 yards, verified, on steel when i get it in.

Just a matter of getting a slot at the agency rifle range during this busy month.

I'm really excited about the 5R rifling as well. Excellent call, Clint.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    The extra details like the 5r rifling and crown are what tipped me towards it. I can get "good enough" to "very good" already, but some of the extra features interest me. If nothing else, I like seeing the overall package of what can be developed in a single yet affordable barrel.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    BufordTJustice-what is the purpose of the Gen 1 enhanced carrier in your build, and what advantage does it offer? Will you be running the A5 system as well? What A5 buffer, if you are?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    BufordTJustice-what is the purpose of the Gen 1 enhanced carrier in your build, and what advantage does it offer? Will you be running the A5 system as well? What A5 buffer, if you are?
    Yes, A5 system with A5H1 buffer and Tubbs AR10 flat wire 17-7 action spring.

I'm also using it with a suppressor and the LMT carrier not only helps enlarge the overall operating window, but virtually eliminates gas to face in my setups. Coupled with the specific action spring and adjustable gas block and i get zero gas to face when shooting can-on. None. Zip.

So it's both a reliability enhancer (who doesn't want LONGER bolt life?) and a performance enhancer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Yes, A5 system with A5H1 buffer and Tubbs AR10 flat wire 17-7 action spring.

I'm also using it with a suppressor and the LMT carrier not only helps enlarge the overall operating window, but virtually eliminates gas to face in my setups. Coupled with the specific action spring and adjustable gas block and i get zero gas to face when shooting can-on. None. Zip.

So it's both a reliability enhancer (who doesn't want LONGER bolt life?) and a performance enhancer.
    I think he's wondering why you specified a gen 1.

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast