Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Gen 4 Glock 17 Magazine Problems- Help and Input Wanted

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

Angry New Gen 4 Glock 17 Magazine Problems- Help and Input Wanted

Long story short;
    Was trying to finish my supply of Glock mags before the gunpocalypse happens.
    Bought a batch of new-production Gen 4 USA-made mags, and am seeing some issues versus my OG Austrian mags.
    Here's the biggest problem outlined;

On a number of the mags I bought, I have noticed some excessive follower tilt. I picked out the three worst to document here, but there's 4 others that are also suspicious....

Ok, so that's not so bad you say...
    Well, the picture's don't really do it justice- the followers are about 2 millimeters from popping out of the body of the magazine. I haven't seen follower tilt/protrusion or sloppy fit this bad since some Korean mags I wisely decided never to buy years back.
    "But if it doesn't pop out it's not a problem"
    Watch this...

There's one mag in particular that I can pop the follower out of the body with the slightest push on the side (where it's stamped #6) of the follower. And I do mean the *slightest* push- just a little pressure on the follower, really.
    I figured this out as I was looking at the odd follower positioning / loose fit on some of new mags VS the Austrian ones I have, and I said, "gee that sure looks like it's about to pop out" *click* "dammit, I hate being right".
    Well that can't be good...

So I went through all the G17 mags I just bought, as well as all others I already owned.
    Funny story- EVERY original Austrian mag is perfect- OG Gen 3, Gen 4's with the metal cutouts, all perfect- no follower tilt, no looseness of the follower, no catching on anything when depressing the follower, general overall better fit and finish. Even the ones that have seen some use are still tight.

The new USA made mags, out of 20, 2 have the followers catching on something in the mag body (seems like the little plastic internal tabs holding the metal shell in at the top), 3 are in the "WTF is this shit" category of the pictures above (1 follower pops out easily, 2 are a couple millimeters from doing so, I'm just not going to force them out), and 4 others I'd categorize as "suspicious" given what's going on with the first 5. Overall fit and finish is not as good across the board as the original Austrian mags (no surprise there I guess....), but the other 9 seem ok.

I can't tell if my eyes are playing tricks on me or not, but it's almost like the feed lips on the ultra-defective follower-popping mag are twisted off, or something.

In the first picture, it looks like I'm seeing an excessive bend in the internal metal body, but if you look at it next to the others, it almost seems like the whole feed lip area is twisted off (pic #2). Again, pictures don't quite show it right, but something's sure off...

The number on all the USA mag bodies is 1587-01.
    I suppose I should try to get Glock to replace a few of these, I just wanted to post this up, and see what everyone thought about this issue, tolerances for follower tilt/play and so forth before I let 'em have it.

Anyone got a line on retailers still selling the Austrian mags?
    Last edited by Jellybean; 10-16-16 at 20:00.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    First I have seen of the issue, but I'll admit that I only have one G17 and 5 factory made mags (plenty of the new Magpul ones too). I would reach out to Glock [770-432-1202]. I have heard that their recent CS has been on point.

Feedback Score
    Try shooting - they may run just fine and if they do it is not a problem.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAVDOC View Post
    This......put rounds downrange with each one. If they work fine, no reason to worry. I've got quite a few of the newer GEN 4 mags with many thousands of round from them downrange. No issues. (unlike my buds with magpul Glock magazines... )
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    I would assume you could exchange them? On a different note, what's the take on buying only Magpul mags for the foreseeable future? My local Cabelas is literally overflowing with them right now and you just can't beat that price!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How did you determine if a mag is Austrian made or US?

What happened when you test fired the mags?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    None of my Gen4 mags look like the ones you're having issues with. I'm pretty sure all of mine look like the first one in the first pic. Is that something new?

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    The springs haven't taken a set yet. Load them up and shoot them and the perceived issue should go away. If it doesn't, contact Glock and get them exchanged for new ones.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAVDOC View Post
    The follower is popping out of the mag body. I was under the impression this is a problem with any magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    How did you determine if a mag is Austrian made or US?

What happened when you test fired the mags?
    Eh, perhaps poor choice of words- my meaning by "Austrian" is the ones that are marked "Austria" on the back, the "US" mags being the new runs with only a serial number. I went back and fixed that a little.

Ran out of time this weekend to test anything, although I really intended to.
    I'll be following up with Glock per the ones that have a clear issue.
    The ones in the "suspicious" pile I'll run some ammo through at some point, and if they work, I'll probably put them in the "training mag" pile and roll on.

But the thread here is because I wanted to see if anyone else was having similar issues w/ the new mags, or if this serial # run had some hiccups, or whatever, not a "bash Glock" fest.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 10-16-16 at 20:05.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    You may want to break them down and inspect the springs. They may be the longer 11 coil springs that are meant for G22 mags. I run them in my G17 mags with the Glock +2 extensions.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast