Thread: Balancing speed and accuracy - practical advice?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Balancing speed and accuracy - practical advice?

Ran a stage yesterday where the targets are at 100, 200, and 300. Stage requires two hits at each distance - one with the barrel laying down and standing up. No point reduction for misses, unlimited ammo capacity. 120sec max time. Rifle used is a 10.5" LMT with a T1. Completed in 65 secs, but the 200 and 300 barrel standing up portions had me blasting rounds down range. (The barrel was not as stable standing up as it was laying on its side)

I don't necessarily care about competition scores, I just want to win gunfights. USMC Doctrine taught to me was essentially shoot all the bullets...

Not that shooting 300 yards with an SBR is a regular occurrence , but even at 50 yards - when you are not laying down suppressive fire what is appropriate as far as balancing getting rounds down range vs actually hitting your target? Conventional wisdom (and match scoring) says unless you're going to be hitting your target you shouldn't be firing. When I sat behind the rifle, slowly aimed and took a deep breath I would hit the target. I never hit the target when I was just blasting, but for some reason ended up blasting anyway.

One could argue that he wants the BG's head down so he isn't firing his rifle back, but that is just theory as all things being equal one should rather prefer having the threat down for good with accurate fire.

I'm rambling, but your thoughts?
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 10-17-16 at 13:09. Reason: Removed video. Question mainly answered by F2S
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The BG's head may be down or he/she may be moving to a better location to flank you.

I am interested in other opinions as well.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    hits>misses
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When I get rattled or lose focus I start pulling the trigger less indiscriminately to compensate (or more likely out of stupidity). Hits only happen by chance in this case. There was a scene in Blackhawk Down where the Ranger Captain is shown taking his time and squeezing off aimed shots. I know its a movie, and the closest thing I've seen to combat is a video game, but his concentrated / aimed fire discipline seemed practical (for my use of a rifle).

As a civilian there are too many reasons to not slow down and only shoot what you can hit.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    hits>misses
    It's bolded and blue, but I've never noticed this before:

"As accurate as needed, as fast as possible, as many times as it takes."

I have my answer. Thanks dude.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    you wont have any buddies and uncle sam's not coming to bail you out. So dont get into things that you can't handle with a few shots. That means dont be out and about in daylight, have luminous sights, NvD goggles, and a great suppressor, with subsonic ammo option. You will not have any ammo resupply, most likely, so blowing off every rd that you have with you, at the first 1-2 enemies, just means that #3 can kill you with nothing more than a machete. Fire that's just making noise is not suppressive of enemy action. Fire that's hitting, at least 10% of the time, that's suppressive. Why be out there during daylight hours, anyway? You'll be many times safer at night, if you know a bit and have the right gear.
    Last edited by whilst; 11-19-16 at 15:41.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by whilst View Post
    you wont have any buddies and uncle sam's not coming to bail you out. So dont get into things that you can't handle with a few shots. That means dont be out and about in daylight, have luminous sights, NvD goggles, and a great suppressor, with subsonic ammo option. You will not have any ammo resupply, most likely, so blowing off every rd that you have with you, at the first 1-2 enemies, just means that #3 can kill you with nothing more than a machete. Fire that's just making noise is not suppressive of enemy action. Fire that's hitting, at least 10% of the time, that's suppressive. Why be out there during daylight hours, anyway? You'll be many times safer at night, if you know a bit and have the right gear.
    Lordy, but the good die young. LOL

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Lmao what the ****

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, he lasted a little longer than Donny.

My favorite was when he basically said Ken H. was full of shit in the Newsletter thread....what a minute, there were so many compiled in such a short time.....yeah that is the topper.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Howdy,

Last time I saw whilst, he and Stengun were operating at the local range, cooking off rounds with their matching Beretta 93Rs and comparing their photoshop skillz. I'd be remiss not to mention that this was after dark. I mean, why be out during daylight hours anyway?