Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running Rugged Obsidian .45 on .22LR 10/22

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Running Rugged Obsidian .45 on .22LR 10/22

I have an Obsidian 45 that's been in Form-4 jail now for over 8 months. In the interim I purchased a Ruger 10/22 takedown with threaded barrel. I emailed Rugged and they confirmed that this suppressor is G2G with both super and subsonic .22LR ammunition.

Now I realize that a dedicated .22LR can is preferable, but if I wanted to run the Obsidian on the .22LR what do I need to do it? Do I just need a barrel spacer to fit the piston that fits my 9mm threaded barrels? I believe it has the same thread pitch, etc., that a factory threaded .22LR barrel has.

I randomly tossed this question to one of the guys at the LGS and he insisted that I'd have to get a special threaded adapter for the suppressor. According to this bloke, you can't run a suppressor with a piston on a rifle.

I checked Rugged's website and didn't find anything other than their pistons listed for sale for the Obsidian .45.

Any info appreciated, thanks.

Feedback Score
    The shop guys are correct, you need something to fix the silencer so it doesn't bash itself to destruction, according to griffin. They ussually sell either spacers or adapters that replace the piston.

Edit
    This is what you need, select the right threads for your 22 barrel.

https://ruggedsuppressors.com/product/fixed-mount/
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-17-16 at 09:58.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the info!

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Please confirm with Rugged, but I believe the SiCo fixed barrel spacer should work as well.

https://www.store.silencerco.com/col...iant=221756540

EDIT: The SiCo fixed mounts fit the Obsidian. In my mind the fixed mount is the way to go, unless you can find the fixed spacers cheap.
    Last edited by Rayrevolver; 10-17-16 at 11:59.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Rugged fixed mount isn't in stock anywhere so the SiCo will be the way to go, thanks!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Is it the osprey that fits (AC149)? Looks like there are fixed mounts for osprey and octane.

Feedback Score
    I went with the spacer for my griffin rev9, the weight savings aren't worth the cost for me. It's worked great so far.

Feedback Score
    The spacer has a few advantages, cost being 1. I have lots of trouble keeping fixed thread adapters on the cans. Seems the can always screws off the mount instead if the barrel. The piston locks into the can and makes removal easier, especially when under a handguard.

I think running a piston w spring is probably ok on a 10/22 as the recoil is so low, the risk is the can "jack hammering" and scrambling the threads.

Octane 9 sounds amazing on a 22/45 Ruger. Good luck with your venture! Dedicated 22 cans are only worth it for browning action 22 pistols. Otherwise it's just te weight difference.

Feedback Score
    ^regarding sound, my 22 semi with a 9mm is super quiet, a lot less noise than I expected. Hopefully the 45 is similar, but I think they make different endcap that may help if it's too loud.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    IIRC, Griffin stated you didn't need a spacer for 22lr on a fixed barrel because it doesn't generate enough power to be a problem. That being said, a spacer just seems like cheap insurance. Personally, If I was going to use a pistol can on a 22lr wih a fixed barrel, I would 3 lug it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast