Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: masking Human scent

Feedback Score
    85 (100%)
    One thing that has worked well for me for a cover scent is evergreen branches. Get some branches off of an evergreen tree, put them in an old pillow case and throw them in the dryer with your hunting clothes for awhile. You would be surprised how strong the evergreen scent will be. I also put some fresh cut branches in some of my pockets. When I am done for the day, I put the clothes in a rubbermaid tote that also has some branches in it to store them in.
    Another thing with laundry detergent besides scent free is make sure it doesn't have any UV brighteners. Supposedly the UV brighteners make you pretty visible to deer.
    Last edited by 1GIG; 10-20-16 at 20:15. Reason: Added info.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Seriously, save your money and save your time (from doing all these hokey rituals). Play the wind. I don't care what secret sauce you put your clothes in, or yourself, your body is going to omit an odor. Buy like a three dollar bottle of wind checker (or make your own) and go hunting.

Feedback Score
    Cover your hunting clothes in ashes after a camp fire. Has worked great for me and others I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1GIG View Post
    One thing that has worked well for me for a cover scent is evergreen branches. Get some branches off of an evergreen tree, put them in an old pillow case and throw them in the dryer with your hunting clothes for awhile. You would be surprised how strong the evergreen scent will be. I also put some fresh cut branches in some of my pockets. When I am done for the day, I put the clothes in a rubbermaid tote that also has some branches in it to store them in.
    Another thing with laundry detergent besides scent free is make sure it doesn't have any UV brighteners. Supposedly the UV brighteners make you pretty visible to deer.
    this look like it could work too

Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    Seriously, save your money and save your time (from doing all these hokey rituals). Play the wind. I don't care what secret sauce you put your clothes in, or yourself, your body is going to omit an odor. Buy like a three dollar bottle of wind checker (or make your own) and go hunting.
    bottle of wind checker?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freejason View Post
    bottle of wind checker?
    It's powder in a bottle so you can see wind direction.

Scent blocker absorbs scent your body emits. It costs $10 and takes 10 Seconds, and it's effective. I suggest you try it out if your getting sniffed out by deer.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-21-16 at 08:34.

Feedback Score
    I keep my hunting clothes in a bag of leaves. Shower with water only before I hit the woods.

Feedback Score
    Take pine needles from your hunting area and steep in rubbing alcohol for a week.
    Put it in a pump spray bottle.
    Spray on your feet and clothes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    All of the scent sticks are neat but remember a deer smells 6 smells at a time so they smell your leaves ,smoke ,pine needles ,doe pee and body odor at the same time . You have to turn off the b o receptors and be as scent free as possible and play the wind .

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    All of the scent sticks are neat but remember a deer smells 6 smells at a time so they smell your leaves ,smoke ,pine needles ,doe pee and body odor at the same time . You have to turn off the b o receptors and be as scent free as possible and play the wind .

yes you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Gers4lyfe View Post
    Take pine needles from your hunting area and steep in rubbing alcohol for a week.
    Put it in a pump spray bottle.
    Spray on your feet and clothes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

has this worked for you?

Feedback Score
    Where you have to be careful with pine and cedar is deer rub and fight both kinds of trees , when I'm walking in the woods in fall and get a strong wiff of either I look around for a rub and so does deer . I used to smoke and drink coffee hunting and more times than not I had to put a cigarette and cup down to shoot but I was the only smoker on our 1200 acre lease and Deer did not relate smoke to hunters and coffee has a skunky musky smell . I had a friend put incense on a stump in front of his stand ( don't remember the fragrance) and shot a lot of deer but if the smell you use gets the attention of a doe or small buck and it finds you and runs off scaring your big buck it worked too good .The best bet is eliminate any odor you can and SKUNK him

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast