Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle length handguard recommendation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Rifle length handguard recommendation

Hello everyone,

I'm researching and gathering parts for my first 'precision' build, all I've done up until now are carbines and SBRs. When I was building those rifles, my main concerns when it came to handuards was durability and something that would let me attach everything that I needed.

With this build, all I should need to attach is a bipod, so my main concern now is that it be light weight and rigid. This thing is going to be heavy enough as it is, so the weight of the handguard is pretty important.

I've done a bit of reading and people seem to like guards from Midwest Industries and Seekins. But, I have always gotten excellent advice from this forum so I would appreciate any advice that you all have.

Thanks!

JRC

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Depending on whether you want M-Lok or Key Mod, I don't think you can beat the KMR for weight. It is a Key Mod system, and the aluminum version- KMR-A, is super lightweight. If all you're attaching is a bipod, assuming a 5.56 build, I'd look into that. If you want insane rigidity and still relatively light, the Geisselle MK8 is where it's at. It's going to run around 12 ounces with the barrel nut. The Geisselle is definitely known to be strong and rigid though.

Feedback Score
    I have the 7" MK8 on an SBR. I didn't consider that the 15" one would be that light. That's very much the front runner right now But, I'll also checkout the KMR.

Thanks for your help.

JRC

Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    Depending on whether you want M-Lok or Key Mod, I don't think you can beat the KMR for weight. It is a Key Mod system, and the aluminum version- KMR-A, is super lightweight. If all you're attaching is a bipod, assuming a 5.56 build, I'd look into that. If you want insane rigidity and still relatively light, the Geisselle MK8 is where it's at. It's going to run around 12 ounces with the barrel nut. The Geisselle is definitely known to be strong and rigid though.

Feedback Score
    I have a Diamondhead VRS-T I like a lot very comfortable. I have a Nordic Components that is a good handguard also. I have some Hogue FF that I'm conflicted over they aren't horrible but you have to use a strap wrench to assemble them and you would have to drill it for a bipod. I have a AP Custom Carbon fiber that I like a lot but I've had a great deal of difficulty finding any more of them in stock and it's a shame because their great very lite and temp neutral.
    Last edited by Kansaswoodguy; 10-19-16 at 22:08.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Been running nothing but Seekins and Aero Precision without any issues... APs new Quantum is even lighter as it takes away the top picatinny rail as well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The geissele mk8 or mk4. Mk4 has an integrated 6 o'clock rail at the muzzle end for bipod and weighs the same as the mk8. The elongated type of barrel nut geissele and some others use is superior in my opinion. No timing the nut, simple handguard attachment to the nut and its elongated for increased rigidity. 15" mk4 comes in at 12.9oz with barrel nut. Plus you get a 'free' gas block that makes pinning easy. Geissele was an easy choice for my precision build.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I would second the vote for the KMR. Lightweight and strong. Add a Noveske TRX/NSR Bi-pod mount and you have your bipod attached directly to the hand guard. I use this set up on my precision rifle and its a great combo in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    If my goal was bomb proof and precision, I would go with a 15" Geissele MK4 or MK8 rail.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had a KMR on my Mk12/Recce build at first. The rigidity was not where I wanted it to be. Now it sports at 15 inch Geissele Mk1 that feels like it's made out of granite.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What specific issues were experienced with the KMR, and did they in your opinion affect accuracy potential or was it a rough use/durability thing? I can explore deflection of various systems, Centurion C4 and PRI vs this KMR. The PRI 16 is likely my most accurate upper but I don't have much time with the newest build.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast