Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Precision AR upper Build (tentative)

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Precision AR upper Build (tentative)

I have a VLTOR MUR-1 upper laying around from another build that I recently took apart and was thinking of a precision upper to run on a Noveske Gen 3 Lower I have built but don't use often (it has a complete Noveske 14.5 pinned SwitchBlock upper).

My initial thoughts are an 18" barrel to keep is semi handy - I also want to keep it a light as reasonably possible.

Barrel - Lighterweight Rainier Arms, possibly a Proof Carbon fiber or other (open to recommendations)
    Muzzle Device - SiCo Trifecta Brake (already have a Saker 556K)
    Rail - 15" Geissele MK8
    Upper - VLTOR MUR-1 (already have)
    BCG - either rob the Noveske BCG from the 14.5" or other option (already have)

Will likely use a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 or maybe x24 (already have both).

Intended use would be precision shooting out to 600M, and while still being useful from 25-100M (i.e. I don't want it to become a bench beast).
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 04-30-17 at 15:39.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If you don't already have such a gun, great idea. Well even if you do... IMHO, the most important piece is going to be the barrel. I don't know how great Rainier Arms are, but if they are awesome then great. Most barrels these days shoot pretty darn good. But you will want MOA at least. if you have an 18 or 20 inch SPR already, I would go 16 inch route. If you don't, 18inches might be great.

Everything else looks buttoned up. Good luck.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yeah I guess I should have just come out and asked for 18" precision barrel recommendations - but something NOT completely heavyweight stainless. Something more mid to lightweight. But yeah I think everything else is pretty dialed in.

Feedback Score
    This one is 36oz and White Oak is gets great feedback. I just ordered their SPR 18 inch. Its a little heavier though. https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/sho...st-fluted.html

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I ran a heavy 18inch White oak for years. It was a bit beefy, but certainly a shooter. I ended up removing it, but if they make lighter barrels it might be a good place to look. I would think BCM would have some good options too.

Good luck.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I have a Larue 16" Stealth Barrel and it is a laser. For the money I would add them to the list but they are a bit of a pig when it comes to weight. Sub-MOA with wolf gold.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    I have a Larue 16" Stealth Barrel and it is a laser. For the money I would add them to the list but they are a bit of a pig when it comes to weight. Sub-MOA with wolf gold.
    Damn. That is good.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Yeah, and it's "Larue", which makes me feel dirty, and not in a good way. Lol.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I used an 18" Criterion barrel on a 308 build with good results. I'm seriously considering one of their 18" rifle length barrels for my SPR build. The good news is that Brownell's has them for about $260.00

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Compass Lake carries several great brands in stock and can turn them to any profile you like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast