Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing a bolt catch roll pin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cobber View Post
    Just the conventional RPP. Looks like a nice gadget though. And cheaper than a screwed up lower. If I go for build #3 I'll add one of these to the kit.

Worked well for me on the first build. Just having a bad day yesterday as I also managed to lose a takedown pin detent. Sleeping with the dust bunnies somewhere.
    That's a right of passage. Go to Home Depot and buy a clevis pin. [Should cost ~79 cents.] (Same size as the pivot pin. You may need to sand it smooth before using it.)

1_ Insert from the opposite side and align one of the holes on the pin with the detent bore on the lower.
    2_ Insert the spring and detent through the clevis pin into the lower.
    3_ Using a small punch, push the detent and spring into the lower while rotating the clevis pin 90 degrees.
    4- Carefully insert the pivot pin into the lower by pushing the clevis pin out of the lower. (Great care needs to be taken so as not to lose alignment between the pivot pin and the lower or your pin will fly.)
    5_ Once inserted, rotate the pivot pin until you hear the detent snap into the track. (If it doesn't rotate, it's already in.)

Hope it helps.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    That's a right of passage. Go to Home Depot and buy a clevis pin. [Should cost ~79 cents.] (Same size as the pivot pin. You may need to sand it smooth before using it.)

1_ Insert from the opposite side and align one of the holes on the pin with the detent bore on the lower.
    2_ Insert the spring and detent through the clevis pin into the lower.
    3_ Using a small punch, push the detent and spring into the lower while rotating the clevis pin 90 degrees.
    4- Carefully insert the pivot pin into the lower by pushing the clevis pin out of the lower. (Great care needs to be taken so as not to lose alignment between the pivot pin and the lower or your pin will fly.)
    5_ Once inserted, rotate the pivot pin until you hear the detent snap into the track. (If it doesn't rotate, it's already in.)

Hope it helps.

I use these tools to remove and install the pivot pin
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks Tits! Great video illustration of the process I was trying to describe.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Vice grips always works better for me to get the pin in and centered. Probably not the cool way to do it, but never have a bent pin or any of that non-sense. Just use lots of tape, get the pin in one side of the channel, put the spring / plunger / bolt catch in, the get it the rest of the way through and use the roll pin punch to ensure it equally spaced.

Easy Peasy.
    I always used lineman's pliers covered with electrical tape. Center, squeeze, tap below flush with pin-punch, done.

ETA: If finish damage matters to you - tape. Lots of tape.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch View Post
    I always used lineman's pliers covered with electrical tape. Center, squeeze, tap below flush with pin-punch, done.

ETA: If finish damage matters to you - tape. Lots of tape.
    Thanks to all for the suggestions. My second build and I did not want to mess up the lower. All turned out well. This is why we don't start a project at 9 pm on a work-night...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12