Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: M4 "Clone"

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I've got a KAC 600 meter rear sight that I like very much. I'm thinking of using that. I've also got a bayonet. Gotta have a bayonet
    I was about to post a question about that KAC rear sight. Are those not an issued rear sight?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I've been out a while, but before I gothink out the "standard" configuration was:

Matech BUIS
    Aimpoint Comp M2 (M68)
    KAC RAS rail
    KAC forward grip
    Surefire M951
    That is pretty much the way the M4s are outfitted. This is one of my clones in a similar configuration.

When you get into the SOPMOD Blocks, the configurations can vary.

Of course, you always have the basic M4.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Why you no like the SOCOM barrel?
    Not judging, just curious.

Plus that service rifle is far out.
    If the Russian Antonovs start dropping paratroops over I-95, I expect Kev to be out there with a doughboy helmet and 1903 taking care of businesd
    Its adoption was largely thanks to a huge witch hunt after the battle of wanat

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Removed
    Last edited by bowman57_2; 10-21-16 at 09:27. Reason: Removed

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    M4 is now retro, man we're old

Most of the components were period piece, except for the LaRue mount (back then it'd have the TA51 or ARMS mount, and some sort of non-factory, home made Optima 2000 mount to take the place of TA01NSN's ghost ring). Around 2001 or 2002, Vic (head of Tactical Night Vision Company) and I were a small part of a group on TOS that had such a red dot mount made for our TA01NSN. KAC made a prototype long ago but I don't think they ever marketed it. Trijicon and other makers have since offered red dot mounts for ACOGs from mid to late 2000s.

Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    KEV, you have a great collection

Heh! If I didn't want the purse handle on my FAL, I wouldn't want one on my AR

I remember when Surplus Ammo and Arms was across the freeway from Lewis-McChord. It was a unique place. I got a lot of ammo and a few interesting items there. I was living up in Everett at the time and it was a good forty-five minute drive to get there.

I've got a KAC 600 meter rear sight that I like very much. I'm thinking of using that. I've also got a bayonet. Gotta have a bayonet
    LOL....Things have changed. Now days from Everett, depending on the time of day, you'd be looking at anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 hrs most days. At 03:00 prolly could still make it in 45 min pedal to the metal.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When we were in Everett, we were at the south end. Later, we found ourselves in Lynnwood, right up the street from Lynnwood Guns. That put us a little closer to Surplus.

The last time I took a job in Washington, it was at Ft Lewis and we moved into an apartment right across the freeway from the base, about two or three exits from Surplus.

"Whoohoo!", I thought. Then I found out they'd moved exclusively into their Taco Ma location.

Just can't win

Last time I drove by the old location, the tank was still in the parking lot. That was a year ago
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-21-16 at 11:23.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Aren't all the new M4's actually M4A1's? I've heard where even if they are arsenal refinished that they are coming back with the SOCOM profile barrel. True?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Army is in the process of converting M4s to A1s with the SOCOM barrel and "auto" selector, so you could go with either barrel. As far as accessories, I was issued an M600 way back in 2008, so I wouldn't put that giant M951 on an M4 clone. My issue rifle sitting next to me has an ACOG, Matech BUIS, PEQ-15, and Magpul FDE XT panels on the rails. I'm going to put a BCM FDE Mod 3 grip on it as soon as I can find a screwdriver (forgot to bring one to work). I have a Tang Down QD stubby grip, but I haven't gotten around to cutting up the XT panels to make room for it. I'll probably switch the stock for a SOPMOD when I track one down - there are still quite a few of them around. I also have a Gear Sector QD sling mount on the rail and a Tango Down PR-4 QD mount on the buffer tube, with a BFG sling. I'll let my guys install accessories as long as they're using quality gear. I believe in making my riflemen as effective as possible.

So I guess the question is whether you want an "out of the box" M4 or one where the user has a little flexibility to tailor it to their needs / preferences.

Dave

Feedback Score
    3ACR is correct. US ARMY is going to a pure fleet of M4A1s with a combination of new FNs, Colts and Colt M4s upgraded to M4A1s. If you have access to FMS web you can see the supporting Basis of Issue and Force Modernization Plans. My POG unit received brand new (I saw the boxes first hand) FN M4A1s. Ours have the KAC RAS, MATECH BUIS and ambi selectors. The burst limiter has been eliminated. The mag release is not ambi. If I were to build a clone I'd grab a COLT upper from grant or a BCM M4a1 upper, add a RAS rail and either use your KAC BUIS or a MATech. I like my personally owned KAC micro over the MATECH. Throw an AIMPOINT PRO on top and it'll be close to an M68 for a decent price. The issue sling is a "quiet" sling that can found for $15-$20. It works but it isn't great. I haven't seen an issue light since all the RFI surefires became "PCS awards" in 2007. I've seen unit buy surefires and CHICHOMS with unit funds. Supposedly they are working on a standard issue weapon light. I wouldn't slavishly copy the M4, the KAC rail covers are too thick, VFGs are personal preference IMHO and the MATECH while functional is not my favorite.

Last time I was downrange (as a staff guy) I used a M68 (Aimpoint COMP M2) with MATECH, Magpul rail covers, and a VTAC sling on my issued M4. I would/should have add a light.
    If I was still an Infantry PL, I'd add a surefire and a PEQ-15.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by cd228; 10-21-16 at 15:08. Reason: adding info

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast