Thread: Lightweight 16" just finished

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)

Lightweight 16" just finished

I started this gun about a month ago and it is now in its final phase of just odds and end and changing a few things. The parts chosen for this were thouroghly researched and were chosen for both durability, quality, and most importantly to keep the weight down. My goal was for this gun to be at 5lbs and when I finally put everything together this afternoon and put it on the scale I was quite pleased when it came in at 5lbs 3oz. That weight is the gun naked without the optic or a magazine. The front of the gun is so light that it's ridiculous. The barrel, gas block, rail (including barrel nut), and Muzzle device weigh in at only 29oz which in a lot of cases the barrel alone weighs that. I am going to be switching up a few things but in the meantime I wanted to put it together so I could both weigh it and get it to the range to see how the weight would effect the way it shoots. I will be packing it up and taking it out to shoot this weekend so I will be sure to follow up with range results.

Current parts list:
    -Faxon GUNNER 16" Barrel "mid length gas system"
    -SLR Rifleworks 15" Helix Rail System
    -SLR Mini Comp Titanium Muzzle Device
    -Battle Arms Development Titanium Gas Block
    -Battle Arms Development Melonited black Gas Tube
    -Spikes Tactical BCG
    -AXTS Raptor charging handle
    -Aero Precision Upper Receiver
    -Spikes Tactical Lower Receiver
    -Spikes Tactical Lower Parts kit
    -KNS Anti Roll pin set
    -BCM Carbine Mil Spec Buffer Kit
    -Minimalist Stock
    -Enhanced Polished Mil Spec trigger
    -Trijicon MRO on LaRue Quick release

The changes that are being made are as follows
    -VSeven Enlightened Billet upper and lower receiver set- "ordered and will be here next week"
    -LaRue MBT trigger "have always used Geissele and want to give this one a try this time"
    -NIB Bolt Carrier Group "still undecided on this one, I just threw a spare Spikes that I had lying around in it"
    -Battle Arms Development Enhanced Titanium takedown pins "ordered and will be here in a day or two"

So in the end my goal is to get the weight as close to 5lbs as I can with the optic. I love the MRO and now have a couple of them on different rifles but I may order the Trijicon RMR for this one. I don't plan on running backup irons on this gun so i think the RMR will be a good low profile fit on this build and should help with shaving a couple ounces off the gun. As far as the BCG goes I'm still undecided as to which one to get. I did decide to steer clear of the lightweight options and keep a full profile for the reliability. I do know that I'm going to go with NIB because I'm just plain sick of cleaning the regular BCM and Spikes BCGs that I have in my other guns. I looked into Fail Zero, WMD, and Lantac. So one of those is going to be used in this one and if I like it I will replace the other BCGs in the other rifles with coated versions and keep my regular ones as backups.

Thanks for checking it out and I'd love to hear some opinions. I will be sure to get updated photos up with the new Receivers. I'm really looking forward to Trying the VSeven enlightened receivers. I've read a lot of good stuff about that company and from the looks of things they are putting out some great stuff. They also look absolutely beautiful. Also any suggestions for other BCGs I'm open to. I'm really stuck on this one and am trying to find something a little different this time to try.

Last edited by mjpgolf1; 10-20-16 at 22:20.

FaxonNathan Guest
    Looking good and great choice in barrel.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Nice build!

Perhaps the Sionics NP3 BCG is an option. You get the reliability of the M16 carrier and the improved lubrictiy and ease of cleaning with the NP3 treatment.

Also, what did you do about securing the gas block? Did you add your own dimples? I have one of the Faxon Gunner barrels to build a similar style rifle, but I haven't decided what to do for securing the gas block.

NC

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    Nice build!

Perhaps the Sionics NP3 BCG is an option. You get the reliability of the M16 carrier and the improved lubrictiy and ease of cleaning with the NP3 treatment.

Also, what did you do about securing the gas block? Did you add your own dimples? I have one of the Faxon Gunner barrels to build a similar style rifle, but I haven't decided what to do for securing the gas block.

NC
    I actually looked at the Sionics but they are out of stock and I wanted to get something quick before things maybe get ugly next month so I am getting pretty close on the Lantac BCG. As for the Barrel I got the simple jig from SLR rifle works and did my own dimples then used locktite and that should be pretty secure. The Nitride barrel is a son of a bitch to dimple though. I had read prior to doing it that it would be tough so I went out and got a couple good drill bits and just had to take my time. It literally took me about 15min per dimple to get them down far enough that the screw would grab and support the block. This is a job that usually takes all of maybe 5 minutes total including getting everything out and the drill plugged in so if you do it just go slow and check your work frequently. I would highly recommend getting the dimple jig though.

Feedback Score
    I like that lightweight very much. Of the three BCG you mention you really cant go wrong with whichever one you choose. Also +1 on the SLR dimple jig they work great and last a long time.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nice build. IMO you can't go wrong with the V7 Upper/Lower set. I have one on my lightweight build and I love it. That SLR handguard looks great as does the muzzle device. Please post some update pics.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    Nice build!

NC
    I received my Sionics BCG last week and it sure does look nice. My build is still in progress so I haven't tried it yet but I'm sure it will run fine. Also picked up their LPK with enhanced trigger. It's every bit as good if not better than the ALG ACT. I'll be buying more in the future.....
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Fantastic build. These lightweights are where it is at.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus