Thread: Can Sig 228 13rd mags be re-sprung to hold 15rds?

Feedback Score

Can Sig 228 13rd mags be re-sprung to hold 15rds?

This might be a dumb question, but considering that 15rd Sig 228 mags are fairly expensive, it's worth the potential embarrassment to ask. I have 3x 13rd mags, so if a spring swap will get me 2 more rounds, it might be worth it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't actually know but I'm going to guess that you may also need the follower and possibly the base plate. Probably going to cost $20 or more for the parts. On the other hand, MecGar P228 15 round mags can be found for $25 or less and the dirty little secret is that MecGar makes or has made OEM mags for some major manufacturers. Including Sig.

Midway USA for $25

Lucky Gunner for $20
    Last edited by 556BlackRifle; 10-22-16 at 14:04.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I have a bunch of 15rd magazines sitting around from when I carried a 228. I'd sell you one for $25 shipped if your interested... PM me. It's not new, but works fine and no damage. Might be worth taking apart and checking it out. I've got some 13 rounders too, but have no interest in finding out at this point in time... maybe someday I'll get a 229, but right now I'm keeping a 227 and looking at selling/trading off a 226 in 357/40.
    Last edited by HammeredSole; 10-27-16 at 00:11.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The SIG factory 15 round P228/P229 mags use a different magazine body. Everything about the magazine (body, follower, spring, floorplate) has been redesigned to hold and feed 15 rounds from the same length magazine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    I don't actually know but I'm going to guess that you may also need the follower and possibly the base plate. Probably going to cost $20 or more for the parts. On the other hand, MecGar P228 15 round mags can be found for $25 or less and the dirty little secret is that MecGar makes or has made OEM mags for some major manufacturers. Including Sig.

Midway USA for $25

Lucky Gunner for $20
    Also Aim Surplus and Greg Cote LLC

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Well I was completely out of touch with mag prices. I looked at what I've got, and it's a mec-gar 15rnd 228 magazines. The mag body is the same length as the 13 rounders, but the follower is shorter. However, with the way magazine prices are $25, why not just buy a few 15 round magazines instead of worrying about swapping springs, followers, etc. Doesn't seem worth the time to research, part hunt, and work for an extra 2 rounds.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HammeredSole View Post
    Well I was completely out of touch with mag prices. I looked at what I've got, and it's a mec-gar 15rnd 228 magazines. The mag body is the same length as the 13 rounders, but the follower is shorter. However, with the way magazine prices are $25, why not just buy a few 15 round magazines instead of worrying about swapping springs, followers, etc. Doesn't seem worth the time to research, part hunt, and work for an extra 2 rounds.
    You can even use the MG 20 rounders

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HammeredSole View Post

^^^^^This. I buy Mec-Gar mags for my CZ pistols. Mec-Gar makes the CZ factory mags, as well as mags for other gun makers.