Thread: 11.5 Upper + 10.5 Rail + Foward Mounted Elzetta Alpha = Adverse Muzzle Blast Issues?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

11.5 Upper + 10.5 Rail + Foward Mounted Elzetta Alpha = Adverse Muzzle Blast Issues?

I genuinely have no idea whether to put this in NFA, Lights/Lasers, or AR General, so... Lights it is.
    I'll let the mods sort it out.

I've seen the previous threads on muzzle blast + lights here, and I have an idea in mind for an alternate choice, but I want to ask this specifically in reference to the Elzetta Alpha.

Backstory- Putting together an AR pistol. It's going to have an 11.5 barrel and 10.5" M-Lok rail. Overall goal is to keep this thing as SUPER light and slim as possible, so accordingly I went looking for the smallest, lightest weapon light or light+mount combo I could find.
    Obviously, the Elzetta Alpha caught my eye, along with an Arisaka Inline Mlok ring mount. Good lumen output, stupid light/slim, overall price good- Looks like just the ticket.

However, it's going on a short barrel, and the bezel of the light is going to end up either next to or real close to the muzzle. I don't use comps, so I won't be exacerbating the issue, but since short barrels have more kablooey at the end anyway.... here's my question;

Given that the Elzetta Alpha uses the Cree XPG-2 behind an acrylic lens, am I going to have issues with muzzle blast?
    If it was the usual Malkoff Arisaka/Elzetta or Surefire Scout, I wouldn't be stressing (per the other muzzle blast light threads), but the Cree stuff is plastic...
    Am I going to kill this light running it next to a short barrel?
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    I genuinely have no idea whether to put this in NFA, Lights/Lasers, or AR General, so... Lights it is.
    I'll let the mods sort it out.

I've seen the previous threads on muzzle blast + lights here, and I have an idea in mind for an alternate choice, but I want to ask this specifically in reference to the Elzetta Alpha.

Backstory- Putting together an AR pistol. It's going to have an 11.5 barrel and 10.5" M-Lok rail. Overall goal is to keep this thing as SUPER light and slim as possible, so accordingly I went looking for the smallest, lightest weapon light or light+mount combo I could find.
    Obviously, the Elzetta Alpha caught my eye, along with an Arisaka Inline Mlok ring mount. Good lumen output, stupid light/slim, overall price good- Looks like just the ticket.

However, it's going on a short barrel, and the bezel of the light is going to end up either next to or real close to the muzzle. I don't use comps, so I won't be exacerbating the issue, but since short barrels have more kablooey at the end anyway.... here's my question;

Given that the Elzetta Alpha uses the Cree XPG-2 behind an acrylic lens, am I going to have issues with muzzle blast?
    If it was the usual Malkoff Arisaka/Elzetta or Surefire Scout, I wouldn't be stressing (per the other muzzle blast light threads), but the Cree stuff is plastic...
    Am I going to kill this light running it next to a short barrel?
    If you're asking if it'll hurt the light -- no, it's an Elzetta.

If you're asking if it'll deposit carbon on the lens - no real way to know until you do it.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Ok, good to know. Pretty much what I figured, but given it's not the usual Malkoff module in that version, had to ask anyway.
    I'm not worried about carbon deposit- have an X300 on my Glock, and I just rub some chapstick on it. Comes right off afterwards.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    The Alpha is bomb proof. You will have no issues. I have one on my 11.5" SBR and it's fine after a lot of rounds.