Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 14.5 vs 16

Feedback Score
    I would want at leaSt one non-nfa upper for travel reasons.

I pinned mine, and am happy. Just make sure you solidify everything. That said, if there's any doubt, go 16". Not a huge difference. On the contrary, removing a pinned device is not impossible, you lose the device, and like $50.

300blk sus are not good for hunting. Terminal ballistics are lIke pistol rounds. Id only use them for fun and when you need to be quiet as possible.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-24-16 at 06:46.

Feedback Score
    It seems that the elderly 7.62x39mm outperforms the 300 Blk in terms of penetration at longer ranges. Of course, the 300 is more of a specialized round, I would imagine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gstout61 View Post
    I currently have 2 ARs. 9.5" 300blk SBR and an 18" 5.56. In looking to sell my 18" to fund a "duty grade" upper/ rifle from SOLGW. I'm torn between 14.5 and 16. My plan is to buy a complete upper, vortex viper pst 1-4x24 with ADM QD mount, geissele SD-C trigger and build it on my bushmaster stripped lower (the SBR) and for now pick up a SOLGW stripped lower to start building on over time (I would then have a 300blk SBR and a complete 5.56) since I'm not sure the sale of my 18" will completely fund this build. I might possibly build another upper after the lower is finished so that I would basically have two 5.56 rifles plus a supressed 300blk upper, but I don't want to count on the possibility of building a second 5.56 upper. As I said I already have a lower registered as an SBR so easy enough for the 14.5 . I'm looking to hear some preferences and why from those who know, so that I may make an educated decision on which will work better for me. I'm not mil, le or a competition shooter, Im just a civilian with a "what if" state of mind, and wanna have a rifle or 2 that I can rely on to drag thru hell and protect my family if it should become necessary.
    Also if I were to go with the 16, would it be worth the extra $100 to go CHF and why or why not?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    It seems that the elderly 7.62x39mm outperforms the 300 Blk in terms of penetration at longer ranges. Of course, the 300 is more of a specialized round, I would imagine.
    I don't see how a thread about a 14.5 or a 16 inch barrel upper turned into a 300 blackout thread. For the record 300 blackout is excellent at what it was designed to do which is very short barrels (9" and under) and move between suppressed / unsuppressed and supersonic / subsonic without adjustment as a CQB round.

Getting back to the OP's question. As others have mentioned having a 16" or 14.5 p&w upper is nice as you have no restrictions moving it across state lines. If you dont travel between states much and dont really care, the 14.5 is a handier upper. You are cutting weight and length which are two great things to cut. As Pappabear mentioned, at some point you may get a can and the 14.5 is again a handier upper with a can.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think 16 is a good way to go simply because you can reconfigure your rifle anytime you want to without the hassle of removing a pinned and welded flash hider. Also, who knows what stupid laws could be coming our way. If scary looking flash hiders are illegal, we'll have to deal with that. For the 1.5 to 1.6" difference, it's hardly worth the trouble.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    If NFA isn't a consideration then go with 14.5". If not, I would stick with a good 16" midlength so as to not have to worry about the pin and weld nonsense.
    This, 14.5 with stamp >>> 16, 16>>> pinned and welded 14.5.

Feedback Score
    Ok I'm starting to lean toward the 16" and work on completing the lower so I have a complete non-NFA rifle, then work on a shorter 556 upper for the SBR later. Would it be wise to spend the extra $100 for CFH and why or why not?

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    Up to you. I like buying the top offering of anything b/c I hate money apparently, but it's unecessary. The filthy 14 was a standard barrel.

https://www.slip2000.com/blog/s-w-a-...ine-filthy-14/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    So the CFH is meant to withstand a higher round count, no other benefits? Also was that round count in the filthy 14 average for a standard barrel?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I have a 14.5 BCM pin-n-weld that was such a PITA that I filed a stamp on it so I could mill off the FH. Never again will I pin-n-weld. Tax stamp or 16" only....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast