Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 14.5 vs 16

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gstout61 View Post
    So the CFH is meant to withstand a higher round count, no other benefits? Also was that round count in the filthy 14 average for a standard barrel?
    The biggest advantage to CHF is that it's more economical to mass produce barrels
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The biggest advantage to CHF is that it's more economical to mass produce barrels
    Why then do they generally cost more?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I do not know. It could have something to do with amortizing cost of tooling and charging what the market will bear. The Germans developed the CHF process during World War II to economically produce large numbers of barrels quickly. For decades, Remington used (and may still use) CHF barrels got the same reasons. For awhile, it became "widely known" that CHF barrels "aren't as accurate" because of the internal stresses built up during the CHF process. The misconception that CHF barrels were not as accurate was so strongly believed that at one point, Remington took great pains to conceal the fact they used CHF for their Model 700.

I think other companies are taking advantage of the economy of the CHF process for their barrels

I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Why then do they generally cost more?
    CHF barrels initially cost more because manufacturers have to pay for the cost of the hammer forging machines which are very expensive. Long term CHF barrels are relatively inexpensive to produce.

Feedback Score
    I thought the benefit was supposed to be less poi shift as the barrel heated up, due to the stresses imparted during the manufacturing process. This is not the case?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Let me repeat this-

The misconception that CHF barrels were not as accurate was so strongly believed that at one point, Remington took great pains to conceal the fact they used CHF for their Model 700
    The Remington Model 700 has for decades, held the reputation for accuracy. As far as I know, Remington used hammer forged barrels for the most of the time they've been making 700s.

Somehow, the belief that hammer forged barrels delivered inferior accuracy after heating up, due to internal stresses from the firing process, took hold of the shooting world. The belief was so strong, Remington, to protect the reputation of the Model 700, went so far as to hide the fact they were using hammer forged barrels. Yet, the Model 700 had, and still has, the reputation for being an accurate rifle and, if I recall, gained that reputation while using hammer forged barrels.

In fact Steyr introduced a sniper rifle in the 80s or 90s that proudly proclaimed used a hammer forged barrel. Many of the pundits of the time questioned Steyr doing so and wondered if the rifle would shoot consistently, shot after shot. Shooting the new sniper rifle soon put the question to rest and it became one of the most sought after sniper rifles on the market.

The lesson here is, you can bet that a solid partnership of technology and capitalism will change the world. The second is, don't believe everything you hear or read because the haters can spin rumours faster than we can get the real information
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-24-16 at 16:51.

I am American

Feedback Score
    In fact Steyr introduced a sniper rifle in the 80s or 90s that proudly proclaimed used a hammer forged barrel.
    Same for SAKO TRG series sniper rifles as well as HK in PSG1, KSG90 and G3A3 (those are also polygonal to add to the insult!). On the other end of accuracy world Polish AKs (with original barrel) are known from very good accuracy (for an AK) mostly because in late '70s Łucznik (11) started to manufacture CHF barrels on machinery delivered by Steyr (last of those forges still work in FB Radom; recently upgraded from analog to digital control).

But a the end of a day case with CHF barrels is same as with every other barrel: poorly made will be bad barrel, well made will be good barrel.
    Last edited by montrala; 10-25-16 at 03:23.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Another datapoint: My Noveske 16" Recce light (chf) is more accurate than my Noveske 16" Recon med-con in SS with match chamber.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstalford View Post
    Up to you. I like buying the top offering of anything b/c I hate money apparently, but it's unecessary. The filthy 14 was a standard barrel.

https://www.slip2000.com/blog/s-w-a-...ine-filthy-14/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at Filthy 14's specs, there is no mention of the barrel being hammer forged. I'd assume it's a standard barrel.

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by odugrad View Post
    Looking at Filthy 14's specs, there is no mention of the barrel being hammer forged. I'd assume it's a standard barrel.
    It is a standard barrel. That was my point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast