Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: PRC-148 Radio, First Impressions and Initial Setup, and Follow on Setup on Chest Rig

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I used these on AD back in 06-07, this ptt will not rotate onto the radio connection. I tried dielectric grease on both mating surfaces when I got home from work today, still no rotation. Need to find someone in driving distance with another ptt to see if it's my ptt or the radio. Still not brave enough to chuck it in my vise and put pliers on it.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Roger that.

Yeah man, I'd steer clear of the pliers. I know these radios can be treated as poorly as a Glock and keep going, but that might be a bit extreme.

I'm going with that PTT as the culprit. I've used the radio with a Racal Headset, Peltor Comtac IIIs, a Thales hand mic, and a U94. All surplus, and all functioned properly.

I think I still have the Racal headset laying around. If you're willing to pay for shipping, I think I can squeeze it into a Medium Flat rate box.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnkey11 View Post
    I used these on AD back in 06-07, this ptt will not rotate onto the radio connection. I tried dielectric grease on both mating surfaces when I got home from work today, still no rotation. Need to find someone in driving distance with another ptt to see if it's my ptt or the radio. Still not brave enough to chuck it in my vise and put pliers on it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnkey11 View Post
    Something I've had to do with military radios and Vic 1 intercom is that if I get a tough U-229, I carefully pry out the O-ring and try it without the O ring.

They usually go on with no problem. That confirms it's not a machining issue.

At that point you can either put the O ring back in after lubricating it well and a lot of times that's enough, or use a new o-ring if it appears the old one is super hard.

For certain items that I take on and off quite a bit I don't even use the O-ring.

If you use a very small flat blade screwdriver that is not see serrated you can pry them out without damage.

I'm intrigued by the radios, but it looks like the PRC 148 copies have become much more expensive. Yet the PRC 152 is still pretty reasonable. Is there a better place to buy these online?

I'm intrigued by them, but refused to pay more than a vx-7r runs just due to the Yaesu also including six meters and 220.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Solid advice.

Regarding the radios, vs. the VX-7R, the biggest draw, from my perspective, is inter-connectivity with existing .mil kit. Beyond that, the battery is absolutely gargantuan at 5800 mAH, if you want to burn the sky, it's capable of 10W, Crossband-Repeat, and you could easily use one as a jack-stand for a truck in a pinch. They also monitor air-band, which is a plus in their favor.

FWIW, I consolidated a lot of my equipment, and I'm now in COMSPEC, monoband hell. It works for my uses, but I miss bullshitting with a couple of decent hams on some of the local repeaters.

Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Something I've had to do with military radios and Vic 1 intercom is that if I get a tough U-229, I carefully pry out the O-ring and try it without the O ring.

They usually go on with no problem. That confirms it's not a machining issue.

At that point you can either put the O ring back in after lubricating it well and a lot of times that's enough, or use a new o-ring if it appears the old one is super hard.

For certain items that I take on and off quite a bit I don't even use the O-ring.

If you use a very small flat blade screwdriver that is not see serrated you can pry them out without damage.

I'm intrigued by the radios, but it looks like the PRC 148 copies have become much more expensive. Yet the PRC 152 is still pretty reasonable. Is there a better place to buy these online?

I'm intrigued by them, but refused to pay more than a vx-7r runs just due to the Yaesu also including six meters and 220.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I looked at the 152''s as well, but all the reviews led me to believe they were built poorly compared to the 148s. I got the 148 for the water and dust resistance, and the compatability with millions 6-pin connectors. So far I have the water and dust part down, I'll try without the oring in a bit.

Edit* Without oring, still cannot rotate to lock it. I'll try another cable, gotta ask around work if someone has a 6 pin laying around.

Last edited by Turnkey11; 04-25-17 at 20:06.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    RE: The 152

The clone 152 actually came out before the clone 148.

The 148 clones absolutely blow the 152s out of the water. The 152s use a proprietary battery, and the 148s are compatible with the gargantuan Thales batteries and CR123A adapters. If I'm not mistaken, there's a DC 12v adapter floating around out there as well.

The 152 also requires extensive modifications to run with the .mil headsets.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 04-26-17 at 08:16.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Turnkey, that is unfortunate. Sorry we are hitting you with the newbie questions but we have to cover the bases.

I had a tough time getting my PTT in, but no more so than a typical PTT on a 148.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

PRC-148 Radio, First Impressions and Initial Setup, and Follow on Setup on Chest Rig

Hey Turnkey... A couple of thoughts on trying to narrow it down if you cannot find another 6 pin PTT adapter.
    1. It was difficult to tell, but is that locking washer inside the PTT headset flush with the base of the pin nubs?
    2. Can you verify that the nubs are in the same position as the slots on the male 6 pin on the radio? Maybe you can hold it upside down next to it.
    3. Take something a small tape measure or even a toothpick and measure the radio 6 pin and measure the headset 6 pin just to make sure that the headset is seating far enough down.
    I think we can agree that it's likely not, but maybe this can help you narrow down the part that is defective. Or as it said try another PTT cable or headset. I looked for an extra I would mail you, but no joy on that.
    I have seen in the past where a cable
    Was rebuilt and that circular retaining clip was not pressed deep enough and it prevented locking on the radios. These were standard mil spec Army radios. I can go out to my shop and check your radio and headset measurements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Without the o-ring the connector should click into place with just fingertip pressure. So it makes me think something is wrong. You should be able to feel it clear the bayonet notches.

On the radios, I was not aware there was that much of a difference between the two electrically. That explains the price difference.

I was aware of the audio issue, but did not know that the 148 clone would work with either condenser or dynamic mics.

Bummer, my interest level is a couple hundred bucks. I'll have to look for the 148 on sale or something

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Roger that.

I don't know if the availability has gotten better, but they were pretty difficult to come by a while back; a training company bought mine off me for $800.

Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Without the o-ring the connector should click into place with just fingertip pressure. So it makes me think something is wrong. You should be able to feel it clear the bayonet notches.

On the radios, I was not aware there was that much of a difference between the two electrically. That explains the price difference.

I was aware of the audio issue, but did not know that the 148 clone would work with either condenser or dynamic mics.

Bummer, my interest level is a couple hundred bucks. I'll have to look for the 148 on sale or something

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast