Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: PRC-148 Radio, First Impressions and Initial Setup, and Follow on Setup on Chest Rig

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    https://shop.jkarmy.com/tri-prc-152-...ri-152-od.html

Just for clarification, there are three separate models of the PRC-152 clones:

There is the original, old-school one, that has a polymer body, and operates as a basic radio with VHF/UHF access.

There are the new-school, aluminum-bodied versions, with the functionality of the PRC-148 (Cross-band repeating, full-compatibility with various .mil headsets, trucker mics, etc.).

The differences between the two new, aluminum versions are:

UV: 5W Max Output. VHF/UHF
    UVH: 10W Max Output. VHF/UHF/HF(10m)

The link above is for the UVH version.

I was able to test compatibility with the CR123 adapters, AA adapters, and issued Harris batteries. All fully function.

The biggest difference I've noticed thus far, in terms of hardware (compared to the PRC-148), is that it also has Analog Encryption (Voice Frequency Inversion), the ability to switch between modes with a secondary lever below the volume potentiometer, quick-key functions on the front panel, and the addition of the 28Mhz/10m band.

It's cheaper than the 148 by about $100; mostly because the 148 ships with a .mil Thales battery, and the new 152s drop with a TRI Li-ion battery.

I will say this; like the 148, the receive sensitivity on this unit is phenomenal. I can get a full signal in a concrete room, underground, which does *not* occur with either of my Professional LMR radios (Hytera, Motorola).

Quote Originally Posted by lahunter57 View Post
    Can you post the link to the specific one you got? I see several models on there but it’s not very clear what the differences are.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 01-03-18 at 12:46.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Is the HF RX/TX or RX only?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    It is supposed to be RX/TX capable. The manual isn't the greatest, so I'm attempting to figure out how to get it switched into HF-mode.

Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Is the HF RX/TX or RX only?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So, to the experienced radio guys. I started looking into HAM recently because I saw these and they seem to get decent reviews.

Are these really crap compared to a regular cheap baofeng? I can't tell if guys are negative on these workable radios because they're lumping all airsoft radios together, because they are kinda expensive for what they are, or if they're expensive compared to other similar radios with significantly less capability.

Also, is there any programming that can be done externally? Or is it all adding each frequency individually?
    Last edited by TCBA_Joe; 04-24-18 at 14:44.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Baofengs are absolute garbage. The TRI radios are anything but.

For EMCOM you have a battery with tremendous storage, and these radios can be used to smash cinder blocks.

I don’t know of any programming cables for these, but adding channels through the front panel is easy enough.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just learned that my wife bought be the 152 for my birthday. I’ve been waiting a couple months for it to come back in stock. Can’t wait to get into it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Right on. You'll love it.

I just learned that my wife bought be the 152 for my birthday. I’ve been waiting a couple months for it to come back in stock. Can’t wait to get into it!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Do the gold pin connectors on the side have any functionality?

On the real deal units you can use them for mics, power, and data transfer. Looking at the build pictures they do something, but there's no listed "what" they can do.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

PRC-148 Radio, First Impressions and Initial Setup, and Follow on Setup on Chest Rig

Congrats!!! And happy birthday!

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Showed up. Still fooling around with it, but my initial impression is that it is functionally very similar to the 148, with some enhancements. Most notably the addition of 10m.

Did they spell "speaker" right this time or is it still "speacker"?

Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast