Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: PRC-148 Radio, First Impressions and Initial Setup, and Follow on Setup on Chest Rig

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    For what it's worth, the TRI PRC-148 lookalikes are available again. Running $345-360 online.

Would love to have one, but can't justify the bucks for a ruggedized CCR (Cheap Chinese Radio).

But still very neat!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

PRC-148 Radio, First Impressions and Initial Setup, and Follow on Setup on Chest Rig

Quote Originally Posted by -HOOT- View Post
    Just curious, why are you guys running the Thales 1m blade antenna on this radio? Its a 30-90MHz antenna which is outside the frequency range of the TRI PRC-148.
    Probably because I hadn't finished reading Antennas 101 before I bought that antenna. If you want to know why, I'd say that's probably it. Not knowing any better or ignorance. They both work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    It would appear TRI is releasing a new version of the PRC-152 called the PRC-152A with an aluminum housing, and the same capabilities as the 148:

https://m.facebook.com/MONDA.INT/

@pinzgauer:

You doing field day this year?
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 06-17-17 at 19:12.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Probably because I hadn't finished reading Antennas 101 before I bought that antenna. If you want to know why, I'd say that's probably it. Not knowing any better or ignorance. They both work for me.

Gotcha. I'm no expert by any means but other than not getting optimal performance out of the antenna I believe you could potentially damage the radio.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    $6700??? You could buy the real deal for that much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post
    NT$6700 = $220.65 US

If it's electrically the same as the PRC148
    Lookalike I might have to get one. The main thing was the headset setup, if this one works with mil accy I'm in.

@Outlander- a buddy is trying to get me to go to the Jasper field day. I'm probably more interested in hitting some local ones just to check them out.

You know of any good ones?

BTW, just put 3 NMO mounts on my truck, just had HF prior. One is waiting for a DMR dual band or similar. Until then I'm at least up on 2m/70cm.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

PRC-148 Radio, First Impressions and Initial Setup, and Follow on Setup on Chest Rig

Quote Originally Posted by -HOOT- View Post
    Gotcha. I'm no expert by any means but other than not getting optimal performance out of the antenna I believe you could potentially damage the radio.

Thanks for the heads up. This is a book I've been that I'm reading and I'm also studying for my HAM license.
    I have a 2m blade on it now relocated to the back of my X harness. Same setup as beforeI just picked up a longer antenna routed to my x harness.

Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 06-18-17 at 08:35.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Looks like the updated prc-152 definitely supports dynamic or condenser mics.

So it looks like it matches the electronics of the 148.

It also looks like there are some options for aprs but they may not have it working yet. (Found a bug and took it off the market)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post
    I doubt you could even if you had the money to burn, and I'm talking about the PRC-6809 which is the clear version of the PRC-148.

Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    If it's electrically the same as the PRC148 lookalike I might have to get one. The main thing was the headset setup, if this one works with mil accy I'm in.
    If I'm not mistaken TCA and TRI are two different companies.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post

Thanks for the heads up. This is a book I've been that I'm reading and I'm also studying for my HAM license.
    I have a 2m blade on it now relocated to the back of my X harness. Same setup as beforeI just picked up a longer antenna routed to my x harness.

No problem! I was genuinely curious, maybe Thales had a broadband blade antenna which I didn't know about.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    An acquaintance sold 3 152 variants at Dayton this year, was going to ping him to get the scoop. They went for $3k each if I recall.

Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast