Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11.5 BCM possible buffer issues

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks a bunch, guys.

For the record, the BCG was also brand new just like the upper....I shall get some colt springs and extractor inserts and perhaps a chunk of tungsten from Geissele to turn this buffer up one notch.

Also, I had no idea about the Independence ammo being poop. I have some black box Federal to try.

Thanks again, gents. Truly appreciated.
    -

Evey -- Are you like a...crazy person?
    V -- I'm quite sure they will say so.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not sure about the universe" -- Einstein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just googled the lot number of my ammo and came up with this from this forum....

"Lot# FC13F001-059
    High pressure signs and dropped primers at a rate of about 10%. Guns included known-good BCM SBR (11.5") and a Colt 6520 (16") with unblemished performance records."

I have shot close to 1000 rounds of this stuff through numerous different 20 and 16 inch ARs....holy crap.

Every time I policed brass (which wasn't all the time, mind you) I never noticed any pressure signs. I am glad I know about this now.
    -

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not sure about the universe" -- Einstein

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zk556x45 View Post
    An extractor spring up-grade and an H2 should resolve this. I've had good luck with the BCM extractor up-grade kits, but MistWolf advises against. YMMV.
    This is where my poor note keeping bites me in the butt. In my research, I came across information about the extractor spring from good source. It explained that the original extractor spring worked fine in a 20 inch rifle, but didn't provide enough tension when used in the carbine. An o ring was used as a temporary fix until a permanent fix could be devised. Colt developed the copper, five coil spring with black insert which fixed the problem. But, if an o ring is used with this setup, extractor tension is too high and if I recall, interferes with ejection. Unfortunately, I don't recall where I found this information and haven't been able to find the source since which I find frustrating. I also admit that I'm lazy and find it easier to simply state "don't use an o ring" than to go into a detailed explanation why.

I have experienced the very same malfunction in two of my ARs with four different bolts. One bolt was from PSA, two were brand new cheapies of an unknown source given to me by a friend and one an LMT Enhanced bolt. In each case, the malfunction was traced to a weak spring. The PSA spring gave up the ghost after two or three thousand rounds and the unknowns after four or five hundred. The extractor springs in the LMT Enhanced bolt (it uses two) were too soft right from the start.

I've also followed several threads online, started by shooters asking for help with fixing this same malfunction. In each case, the problem was either a weak spring or a worn or damaged extractor. Usually it was the spring. I don't recall in any of these cases where the worn spring was a Colt spring. That doesn't mean I don't think the Colt spring will not wear out. All springs wear out eventually. But, I take it as anecdotal evidence Colt got it right.

I don't know everything and chances are, I really don't know enough. But I've made a career of troubleshooting and repairing aircraft and their systems and I've been applying that experience and skill set to ARs while trying to figure them out
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-27-16 at 12:36.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Is this a new BCM BCG or used? If this is new I would suggest contacting BCM as the standard extractor spring should be fine. I also wouldn't dick around with the build a buffer nonsense. Just get an H2 and be done with it.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    New BCG, new upper.

I think my first order of business will be to feed it some known quality ammo and see what's what after checking on the extractor and springs to see if there are any odd things going on there.
    -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I recently had issues with an extractor spring on a brand new Colt getting gunned up with preservative because I didn't clean it out from behind the extractor before shooting it. The preservative was gumming it up
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-27-16 at 23:14.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12