Thread: Diagnosis the target?

Feedback Score

Diagnosis the target?

Just came back from doing this. 100 rds from a 1911 sa trp operator. All the head and chest were from 1'-12yds. I was around 1.2 drawing and firing and getting. 17-.2 splits inside 4 yds. Transition to the head I was around .3 split. On just head shots it was averaging .22-.25 splits. Beyond 4 yds I was in the .23-.27 on the splits and 1.33 on the draw. The bottom 15 rounds were just to work on trigger control. The 10 on the left at 10 yds the 5 on the right at 15 trying to balance accuracy and speed.

Are these decent? What could I do to improve? I'd appreciate cold hard honesty. Thanks.

Eta those times were the fastest after I was getting dialed in and what I was starting to see around round 40. Before that it was slower.
    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ubet; 10-26-16 at 18:18.

Feedback Score
    To improve? Increase the distance. Flaws will show themselves, then repost and we can help. If those were out to 12 yds with that draw time and split, I'd say you're good for cc, but go back to 25 and see what you can do.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Task.
    Condition.
    Standard.

Without those three, it is impossible to gauge ability.
    What you were doing is practice. The goal of repetitive practice is to ingrain a desired skill. Apply that skill against a standard to determine proficiency.

Here is an example:
    "The Test"
    From 10 yards, from holster, fire 10 shots on a B8 target in 10 seconds.
    Passing: all shots score "10" or better.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    The better times were inside 8yds if I remember correctly. But I'll move it out to 25 when I have more time.

F2s, how about 8 in 8? Mags only hold 8. I guess I didn't have a task in mind passed smoother quicker draw and keeping everything inside the a zones. So would recording times and drills in a notebook be the best way to create a standard to improve upon? I'll be honest, I know I'm not at the level of most people on this site, so their standards and mine would be drastically different

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    The better times were inside 8yds if I remember correctly. But I'll move it out to 25 when I have more time.

F2s, how about 8 in 8? Mags only hold 8. I guess I didn't have a task in mind passed smoother quicker draw and keeping everything inside the a zones. So would recording times and drills in a notebook be the best way to create a standard to improve upon? I'll be honest, I know I'm not at the level of most people on this site, so their standards and mine would be drastically different

Don't worry about not being awesome yet. You're sitting where you need to be on the Dunning-Kruger scale, which is better than 90% of gun owners. We all started somewhere, when I first started shooting pistol I was terrible, but luckily had access to some really good people to show me the light.

Don't get wrapped up in "the test", it was just an example of how to put variables and data together for comparison.
    For basic work/warm-up, at close range (3-7 yards) the Dot Torture is a good series to run: Dot-Torture Target
    Instructions are right on the target.
    There are all kinds of other drills, we actually had a long thread on them here, but it looks like a lot of it was lost.
    Another route to go is to replicate USPSA Classifier Stages: https://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/NCCB_4.1_2016.pdf (scroll to pg 29 for stage setups). There is long history on every one, but you need a bay for setup.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the encouragement. When I get more time I'm take a look at all that.