Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 73 ELD Match bullets

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've never been troubled by length variations in OTMs. I hope that I shouldn't be... because I don't need anything extra on which to obsess.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've never been troubled by length variations in OTMs. I hope that I shouldn't be... because I don't need anything extra on which to obsess.
    Keeping it simple, but trying to understand who the players are that affect my efforts at precision loading and or shooting. In all likelihood this particular dimension will not be a major factor as the base to ogive is the important consideration. But always it comes back to consistency.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah... I remember reading about Meplat uniforming. And the guy who'd tried it realized no measureable difference in accuracy. However, now that I think about it, at 1000 yards it might make a difference.

We shot some of the Accubond 30 Win Mag ammo that had the brittle tips fall out. At 1000 yards, that Lack of bullet tip DRAMATICALLY hurt the bullet flight. I was like watching breaking ball pitches as those bullets dumped way short of the gong.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    25.5 gr of TAC is where I'm starting... backing off a little from the 5.56 ramshot data based on a 75 gr hornady bullet. We'll be running the 20 inch rem 700.
    How long? That's a hot charge unless I missed that it's not .223. Would love to see how it turns out.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Markm loaded up some super hot TAC loads and some pretty hot XBR loads. I think , if my memory serves me, 2800fps plus out of our 16 inch gas gun. I screwed up and brought my Rem 700 308 when I wanted to bring my rem700 223 gun. My boys moved my guns around and I screwed that up, they are exactly the same build for training. Next week, 20 inch data to follow.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    That sounds crazy. I've got some calculating to do.

Feedback Score
    I loaded a ladder with XBR and the 75 ELD-M and to make contact with my rifling the COAL is a whopping 2.520"s. That leaves a lot of volume for powder in the .223 cases. Since the Berger 75 VLD's exceeded 3,000 ft/sec's without excessive pressure signs I feel confident these Hornady bullets will as well. With luck and my LabRadar Tuesday should tell.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The XBR load was running 2660 fps. But the TAC load was a little too hot. 2850 out of the 16" barrel. At 1000 yards the come up was only 9 mils. I was getting swipes and one primer half backed out. I knew that this load combined with the AR match primer was going to cook.

The TAC load is actually backed off from the 77 gr 5.56 data that is published. I had the same issue with 80 gr smks and TAC. Pressure signs even though I was a half grain under max 5.56 data.
    Last edited by markm; 02-12-18 at 09:21.

Feedback Score

75 ELD -M's not 73's... sorry :-)

I didn't shoot my best today and feel I lost one to a gust, but I did like the horizontal nature or relative flatness of this group. Distance to target was 300 yards.

Also liked this group, and feel if I had controlled my shoulder pressure a bit better it might have been outstanding.

Next attempt will be to move the bullet away from the rifling and hopefully get some better SD's and tighter groups with a bit less apparent pressure. Tight bolt lift occured at 25.0 grains V =3100 ft/secs at that point.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry, newbie question, but what is a swipe?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast