Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got my new Colt 6920

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Just got my new Colt 6920

I own a few AR's. HK, CMMG,RRA, and a Frankenrifle. I have owned many more from S&W to Del-Ton. I have to say this is my second Colt and this one doesn't impress me. The shop I ordered it through received it and called me. I couldn't exactly inspect every bit of it at the store so when I got home I gave it a once over. I was seriously disappointed in the finish. While I know the finish is not that important, this was a rifle I bought to keep for my daughter. I guess I am nit picking, but it saddened me that I have never had a AR with tool marks on it even from the cheapest Del-Ton. I guess that's what I get for having him order it from his distributor and me not throughly checking it. I know it is a tool but I guess I expected more.

Attachment 42156

These are just a few, both the upper and lower have marks like this on them. This is the best example of it to show up on camera. (Just above the trigger pin)
    Last edited by CharlieDeltaJuliet; 10-27-16 at 18:59.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You're not alone. There have been countless instances of people complaining about the finish quality on 6920's in recent history (probably due in part to Colt's financial woes).

That being said, their non-cosmetic QC is still solid so you really have nothing to worry about. If you wanted a looker, I would've recommended a complete BCM or Daniel Defense.

Feedback Score
    I bought one a couple years ago and it has tooling marks on it also. They don't bother me a bit. I've found I can't see the marks while shooting it. It's probably my favorite ar. My son's gen 2 Noveske doesn't have a blemish on it but gen 3 pmags will not seat fully without removing the stops on the mag. So much for a great finish huh?
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ^Rb View Post
    You're not alone. There have been countless instances of people complaining about the finish quality on 6920's in recent history (probably due in part to Colt's financial woes).

That being said, their non-cosmetic QC is still solid so you really have nothing to worry about. If you wanted a looker, I would've recommended a complete BCM or Daniel Defense.
    I completely agree, but I think it is sad that finish part of their QC has diminished to this. There are four places like this. Two on the magwell, one on the upper near the front takedown pin. I would look at this as a blemish by most other company's standards.

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDeltaJuliet View Post
    I completely agree, but I think it is sad that finish part of their QC has diminished to this. There are four places like this. Two on the magwell, one on the upper near the front takedown pin. I would look at this as a blemish by most other company's standards.
    I know these rifles are held in high regard here, but I would never buy a Colt because of this. I'm sorry, but if a company is missing steps on cosmetics because of recent issues, then who's to say that they aren't missing steps with the rest of the rifle. There are just waaaay to many options out there now to settle for slopiness when spending upwards of $1000 and up.

Feedback Score
    Is this what M4C has come to? People complaining about the fit and finish of a 6920?

Colt factory photo:

Maybe Colt just isn't for you.

Regards.

Mark
    GLOCK Certified Advanced Armourer. SIG Sauer Certified Law Enforcement Armourer for SIG Sauer Semi-Auto Pistols, 1911, M400/M16/M4/AR15, 516 Rifle.
    Owner of Invictus Specialities Inc.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The previous Colt I had was a great rifle. That is why I chose another. I was just guessing that Colt produces so many that this type of blemishes are overlooked. I guess it was my expectations just a little too high.

Feedback Score
    The new Colt AR's are not a work of art, but they run and run well. Others build works of art, some are really amazing. In my opinion the Colt's are a good value, but certainly not the best finish or most modern design. For what you want you I doubt the Colt is the right choice. The good news is that the Colts hold their value and if you decide to upgrade you should be able to get your money out if it assuming you paid fair market value.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How does it shoot?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Wow what a douche remark. I never expected it to be as nice as my HK, but thought it was common for manufacturers to care about their product. If I bought a Remington 700 that had that I would also be disappointed. I own a few Colt firearms (2- 1911's and a python) none of which have an issue. My issue isn't with the manganese phosphate, but with the finish grinding. It is grind marks.
    Last edited by CharlieDeltaJuliet; 10-27-16 at 20:15.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast