Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got my new Colt 6920

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    How does it shoot?
    I guess my daughter will tell you after Christmas. I bet like a champ! �

Feedback Score
    Call the shop and explain the situation and ask if you can exchange for another 6920 that they may have in stock, or can order.

Feedback Score
    I actually love this about Colt. When I want fit and finish, it is high grade walnut and charcoal blue. I've never seen a better finish on an AR than the "messed up" Colts. Anything better than this just seems wrong.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    As said it is just cosmetic. I dosent bother me enough to return or exchange it as it was a pain to get it in the first place. I just simply wanted to post my experience so that others who might run into the same will know they aren't alone and let them know if they expect top tier QC on final sanding and shaping, it might not be there. I owned another 6920 (restricted rollmark) and it ran as good as it could and was a looker too boot. I gave it to a friends son before he went to basic.
    Last edited by CharlieDeltaJuliet; 10-27-16 at 20:40.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
    I know these rifles are held in high regard here, but I would never buy a Colt because of this. I'm sorry, but if a company is missing steps on cosmetics because of recent issues, then who's to say that they aren't missing steps with the rest of the rifle. There are just waaaay to many options out there now to settle for slopiness when spending upwards of $1000 and up.
    Blasphemy! I hope you've enjoyed your time here. After a comment like that your days are probably numbered.

Now, on a more serious note, I completely agree with you and share a similar sentiment.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twm134 View Post
    I actually love this about Colt. When I want fit and finish, it is high grade walnut and charcoal blue. I've never seen a better finish on an AR than the "messed up" Colts. Anything better than this just seems wrong.
    I can't understand people's hang ups on the finish on a fighting rifle...coyote rifle...hog rifle etc. I understand that some people like that fresh new smell and finish of a firearm. I'm guilty of it and am a complete sucker for good walnut and bluing that looks like glass, but there is nothing better looking than these extreme finishes like HK, Glock and others put on firearms, when they get bunch of holster wear or general beat downs that take finish off.

I'm not trying to beat you down OP, but if it is a real issue, send it back. The real question is how are you going to look at the rifle 2 years from now? A few hundred rounds later or a few thousand rounds later?

I recently bought a CZ 452 American that had a bad bluing. I sent it back because of a blemish, so I know where you are coming from, but my Colts,they get treated slightly better than my garden rake. They get cleaned, lubed and live in a climate controlled space.
    Last edited by armtx77; 10-27-16 at 20:53.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The imperfection looks to be just cosmetic, however, the damage is beyond acceptable. Either there was a void in the forging or the tooling caught and chattered. It may not affect fit, form or function, but I'd contact Colt and ask them to take care of it.

I don't worry about small imperfections, but that's the result of somebody failing to do their job
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    While I don't really relate to buying an AR for posterity or cosmetic fulfillment, my sympathies are with the OP if he didn't get what he wanted in a purchase.

This has long been the knock on Colt since they got out of the modern revolver game and scaled back on things like deep, lustrous finishes. It hasn't been uncommon to find all manner of small cosmetic nits to pick: thin bluing on 1911 slides (sharp edges, too), a stray tool mark on an AR, or unevenness in parkerizing.

But I also seem to recall something about "work horses, not show ponies", and would commend OP to consider pulling that rifle apart and inspecting it; what you tend to get with Colt -- and what I'd wager he'd find -- is in return for small lackings in aesthetic refinement a rifle that's built right where it counts most if you want it to run and run, at a price point not far from lesser builds, and considerably less than others that, too, will run and run and, yes, look a little prettier doing it.

It's a failure of logical connection, though, to assume that small cosmetic misses that have no affect on function equates to a negligent build process in general (confirming something like that takes a lot more evidence than is presently available); it also overlooks that all brands, best to least, occasionally miss something when a product goes out the door.

OP, you can certainly see if the shop would be willing to work with you on this, or contact Colt directly. Alternately, buy another one that you can inspect first and make certain it meets your standards, then sell the current one; you'll probably more than break even if current trends indicate -- there'll be plenty of folks looking to add another one and don't care how it looks compared to how it shoots (enough of which always puts a few marks here and there anyway).

That said, I'll add two things: I picked up a standard 6920 not long back -- as plain Jane, meat and potatoes as it gets -- and have yet to find any flaw with it stem to stern, so at least with that one data point Colt appears still able to get it right. But in a recent thread, Iraqgunz -- who knows a thing or two about this stuff -- mentioned he thought some of the recent Colts might be showing a slight uptick in QC slips; perhaps he'd be willing to chime in with more background on this...

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    Quote Originally Posted by armtx77 View Post
    I can't understand people's hang ups on the finish on a fighting rifle...coyote rifle...hog rifle etc. I understand that some people like that fresh new smell and finish of a firearm. I'm guilty of it and am a complete sucker for good walnut and bluing that looks like glass, but there is nothing better looking than these extreme finishes like HK, Glock and others put on firearms, when they get bunch of holster wear or general beat downs that take finish off.

I'm not trying to beat you down OP, but if it is a real issue, send it back. The real question is how are you going to look at the rifle 2 years from now? A few hundred rounds later or a few thousand rounds later?

I recently bought a CZ 452 American that had a bad bluing. I sent it back because of a blemish, so I know where you are coming from, but my Colts,they get treated slightly better than my garden rake. They get cleaned, lubed and live in a climate controlled space.
    People get hung up on fit and finish because companies have shown that it's possible to combine the function of a rifle with beautiful cosmetics. Whether or not some people think that the AR is strictly a tool and should be treated as such the AR market has changed and this rifle has been glorified. There is nothing wrong with wanting your AR to look as good as it performs. It's when form is put before function that it becomes ridiculous. Everything evolves over time and the AR is far from what it used to be now. It's just the way it is and it's going to keep evolving whether everyone likes it or not. Companies like Battle Arms, Vseven, Daniel Defense, SLR Rifleworks, and many others wouldn't be so hot right now if all people cared about was the function of the rifle. They are putting out superior products that will perform with anything out there but look like an exotic super car. There is room for everyone at the table.
    Last edited by mjpgolf1; 10-27-16 at 21:06.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I appriciate the comments. It is a chatter mark that's why I am not as concerned with the function. I treat my CMMG, and even a Del-Ton( I had when I took it in trade) the same as I do my HK, Sig, or my custom built frankenrifle. I take care of the and don't hammer them. I shoot the fool out of them but clean and store them with great care. I take great pride in all my firearms. I have edc pistols that do have wear, but that was applied by me. Like I said I have very little doubt that it will fail to live up to the standards that 6920's are known for.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast