Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adams Arms small frame 308. Anyone shot one yet.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So, it's now over gassed to be reliable with under powered ammo
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    So, it's now over gassed to be reliable with under powered ammo
    No, it is not over gassed at all. It is appropriately gassed and is now reliable with a wide variety of ammo. It ejects NATO rounds at about 3 o'clock and the weak Russian steel cased ammo at about 4-5 o'clock. Put a suppressor on, and the brass comes out between 2-3 o'clock. So absolutely not over gassed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell556 View Post
    The first rifles shipped out with undersized gas ports. They have recognized the problem and fixed it. They were testing the rifles with one type of ammo. Now they factory test with several different rounds and have opened up the gas ports. This rifle can be found for $1,200. I am sure the MEGA is going to be very nice but at ovet twice the price. Mine runs NATO rounds and even cheap Russian and Chinese rounds. Cycles fine with all, suppressed and not. Check out the video if you have doubts.
    Being that I mostly shot it with a Dead Air Armament suppressor that they were trying to sell us, it wasn't overgassed. Although, I didn't care enough to bother trying to diagnose the issue.

Without going into more detail in a public forum, I have serious doubts about Adams Arms ability to manufacture a reliable 556 AR, much less one in 762 priced at $1200.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    It's a pretty cutthroat market these days. If they put out crap, it'll be made public. Profit margins are slim for all but the "elite" crews.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
    Being that I mostly shot it with a Dead Air Armament suppressor that they were trying to sell us, it wasn't overgassed. Although, I didn't care enough to bother trying to diagnose the issue.

Without going into more detail in a public forum, I have serious doubts about Adams Arms ability to manufacture a reliable 556 AR, much less one in 762 priced at $1200.
    All I can report on is my experience. 5 types of ammo, with and without a suppressor. Here is the video of my evaluation if you want to check it out. https://youtu.be/Re7N1qLoHbM

Feedback Score
    Well I was finally able to get out and shoot my new rifle. First impressions are that it is decently manufactured for a rifle in this price range. Upper to lower fit was tight, hand guards were tight, weight for the rifle is very good. The bad part came from being in my state with a bullet button and 10 and limitation. Not the fault of Adams Arms just a PITA.

So to address the under gassed issues I chose to break the rifle in with cheap Russian .308 ammo (Tula). Out of 80 initial rounds I experienced 1 stove pipe on round 11. I attribute it to operator error as I don't think the magazine was fully seated from the first reload. The rifle was not cleaned or lubed from when I received it. Short of that muzzle blast was appreciably louder for a 16" vs a longer barrel more akin to a .308. Recoil was well managed and overall I am very pleased with the rifle. I like it much more than the M1A SOCOM in a troy stock that it replaced. Off hand minute of pie plate accuracy was good. I literally through a Trijicon 1x4 scope on it and started ringing steel with out messing with the scope adjustments. Need to get it on a bench and really see what it will do with match ammo and a higher magnification scope.

I will continue to shoot it and do some load development for it but all in all I am happy at this point with the rifle.

Feedback Score
    This thread is one of the very few I could find anywhere when I was researching the Adams Arms SF .308 for my own purchase. So I thought I'd add my own experience here for anyone else who comes along searching.

I have been an avid DI guy. I never bought into the hype of piston driven AR style rifles. That being said I've always been curious. I own a S&W M&P10 and a DPMS 3G....a pre-GII .308. They are both good guns but the DPMS weighs almost 14 pounds loaded and the Smith is the hardest kicking semi auto I own. So when I decided to start looking for a light weight option for my hog troubles the Adams Arms patrol .308 got my attention. It met all the criteria I was looking for.....under 8lbs in stock configuration.... Adjustable gas block for suppressed use.... Used SR25 pattern mags.... Manufacturer will sell spares for all the proprietary parts i.e. I can buy a complete second piston system to use for spare parts. When I saw this rifle at Buds priced at $973 I figured I didn't have much to lose.

That was over two months ago. As of this past Sunday I have over 1,200 rounds through the rifle with no malfunctions. I have yet to clean it.... I just keep the piston well lubed. The rifle easily holds inch groups at 100 meters with 168 grain SMKs. When I run it with my Omega can the suppressor setting really cuts down on blowback and noise. I could not be more pleased with Adam's Arms. In addition to flawless performance the rifle has excellent fit and finish. So unless this gun shits the bed in some completely surprising way, it is looking like quite a good bargain.

I am not advocating piston over DI. I just want others who may be looking for an AR style 308 to know that the Adams Arms SF Patrol Battle Rifle is a great option. I'm going to run the gun hard and will let you know if I find any problems down the road.

Be safe.

Heavyweight

Feedback Score
    Glad to see someone else has had a positive experience with their AA 308. Really liking this rifle. Kind of surprised it isn't getting better coverage on the internet or print. Do wish someone other than samson made a free floating hand guard for it.

Feedback Score
    I've got one too (ordered when I was worried we'd by subjects of Pres Hillary). They've definitely had some QC issues (rifles shipping out with such basic issues, they apparently did zero function testing after assembly), but customer service was top notch. Mine works (after a trip back to Adams), but I've put very few rounds through it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12