Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Soylent now stoping the shipment of thier powders too.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This stuff is real? I didn't click on this thread because I wrote it off as a joke. So I went to their website...and now I think it's even more a joke.

I don't want an engineer designing my nutrition, just as I don't want a nutritionist making a building. And 400 calories with only 20g of protein? What are they designing for? Cardio bunnies?

Whatever happened to just eating healthy and hitting the whey on the side when you needed a protein boost? Did people forget that good food actually tastes good?

These guys look like the extreme shock of the supplement world.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    ok... you win the thread sir.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The company now says the problem was due to algal flour used. I guess that's what happens when you have some kid(s) with zero science/med/nutrition, etc background deciding he's qualified to design nutritional supplements. However, the company that produces the flour (TerraVia) claims there's nothing to support the claim that's the cause of the problem.

Soylent blames product recalls on algae
    Algal flour is thought to provoke gastrointestinal reactions in a small number of people.

It's been a tough few weeks for Soylent. After recalling its new food bars for giving customers vomiting and diarrhea, the startup ended up pulling its famous meal-substitute powder from shelves as well. The company said a handful of powder customers were reporting similar gastrointestinal issues to those causes by the bars. The problem was affecting less than 0.1 percent of all customers, but the complaints were obviously severe enough to halt all sales of two of the company's four product lines.

Cont:

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/08/...l-algal-flour/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thread bump of LOL worthy content, Canada banned it:

Sorry Canada. No Soylent For You

Canadian fans of the tech-industries’ favorite liquid meal just got some bad news.

The maker of Soylent yogurt-like drinks and dietary powders said that Canadian regulators don’t consider its products to be alternatives to conventional meals and that its food is therefore banned.

Cont:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/sorry...?.tsrc=fauxdal

The reason this goofy stuff exists at all, as if there's anything remotely original about it (much higher quality MRPs have been produced for decades by various sports nutri companies) is it's marketed hard to people who apparently never get out of their office or house:

"Backed by some of tech industry’s biggest venture capital firms like Andreessen Horowitz and GV (formerly Google Ventures), Rosa Foods’ Soylent brand of food products became hits with Silicon Valley techies who want a quick meal between long-work hours."

Of course, there's that wonder technology called the blender that allows you to make highly nutritional drinks and save $ on the pre made drinks, but that sounds too much like common sense so...
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    First I’ve heard of this. I see they use soy protein, isn’t soy protein bad?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    First I’ve heard of this. I see they use soy protein, isn’t soy protein bad?
    No, that’s a complete myth. There is no actual, peer-reviewed science showing anything dangerous about soy consumption. It even reduces your risk of various cancers. I’m concerned that some of the folks bashing meal replacements either sell a competing brand, or are irrationally scared of powders. I have had zero health detriments while consuming Soylent, and it’s substsntially better than the western junk diet that I was largely consuming. Although I still eat more traditional food regularly.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BallisticHarmony View Post
    No, that’s a complete myth. There is no actual, peer-reviewed science showing anything dangerous about soy consumption. It even reduces your risk of various cancers. I’m concerned that some of the folks bashing meal replacements either sell a competing brand, or are irrationally scared of powders. I have had zero health detriments while consuming Soylent, and it’s substsntially better than the western junk diet that I was largely consuming. Although I still eat more traditional food regularly.
    So soy consumption doesn't increase estrogen levels?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    No, that’s a complete myth. There is no actual, peer-reviewed science showing anything dangerous about soy consumption.

That is false. The bulk of the data suggests some benefits, or neutral effects on end points studied, but to say there's no studies suggesting some negatives is false. One can argue the accuracy and or utility of such studies, but that's a different issue. A bit dated, but still relavent to the discussion:

http://www.brinkzone.com/articles/th...f-soy-protein/

Possible impact of soy on sperm counts:

http://www.brinkzone.com/general-hea...s-in-menmaybe/

It even reduces your risk of various cancers. I’m concerned that some of the folks bashing meal replacements either sell a competing brand, or are irrationally scared of powders. I have had zero health detriments while consuming Soylent, and it’s substsntially better than the western junk diet that I was largely consuming. Although I still eat more traditional food regularly.
    Anything is better then SAD, so that's a non starter. Soylent is garbage and there's FAR better formulated MRP products out there, which have been around for a decade or so. That the concept seemingly new to some millennials in silicon valley does not change that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    Most data does not support a significant effect but per usual, the dose makes the poison:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11880595

I don't recommend men make soy a large % of their daily cal or protein intakes, but there's no reason to actively avoid it either.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    Not to any substantial or dangerous levels for the majority of people.

Feedback Score
    This hasn’t worked in the past, but I’ll try again.

Will, which MRP would you recommend as being “superior” to something like Soylent or Huel, which specific ingredients make it superior in your opinion, and what is your business relationship with them?

You love bashing millennials, and I can appreciate that, but knocking something without explaining why you take offense to it or providing an alternative just looks bad.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast