Thread: Does the Surefire forend still have issues?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Does the Surefire forend still have issues?

Last time I looked into the newest iteration of the SF forend, there were complaints about battery drain, I think there were interface complaints, just general teething problems.

Simple question is, how are they now? The battery drain was the biggest thing keeping me from jumping on one, but I have an application where it makes the most sense, and would like to have some confidence going in. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I have never had a problem

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    They have the issues they've always had... They cost too much, are heavy as hell and get in the way when maneuvering around barricades.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by travistheone View Post
    I have never had a problem
    Good to know, thanks. How long have you had it?
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    They have the issues they've always had... They cost too much, are heavy as hell and get in the way when maneuvering around barricades.
    All valid, but the width of it is what I'm interested in for this specific application. I'd prefer running a light off a Magpul forend or Scout off an RS mount, but for this particular storage consideration, I'd like to get the overall profile fairly unchanged if possible.

Feedback Score
    Reference: https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.h...6&f=1&t=436545
    Reports are Surefire's DSF battery draining problem was corrected in 2014.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    Reference: https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.h...6&f=1&t=436545
    Reports are Surefire's DSF battery draining problem was corrected in 2014.
    Cool deal. I searched M4C rather than anywhere else, and didn't see much. But searching around the broader 'net, seems like they did address it around 2014. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    I have an old Surefire LM-318 forend on my older 18.5" 870 Express ( product 25077) (before the longer one-piece 6 rd tube became standard) and am happy with it.

I have a newer 870 Express (also Prod # 25077, but with the newer one-piece 6 rd mag tube). I'm considering putting a DSF-870 on it to replace its Magpul forend and X300.

Over at amazon.com, some people report that the DSF-870 interferes with racking the gun when installed on an "Express Tactical". One or two reports mentioned the rear end of the DSF interfering with the front end of the receiver.

https://www.amazon.com/SureFire-DSF-...owViewpoints=0

Has anyone here experienced this or heard of such a problem?

Has anyone here use or used a DSF-870 on an Express, preferably a 25077 with the one-piece 6 rd mag tube? If so, were there any issues?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    I have an old Surefire LM-318 forend on my older 18.5" 870 Express ( product 25077) (before the longer one-piece 6 rd tube became standard) and am happy with it.

I have a newer 870 Express (also Prod # 25077, but with the newer one-piece 6 rd mag tube). I'm considering putting a DSF-870 on it to replace its Magpul forend and X300.

Over at amazon.com, some people report that the DSF-870 interferes with racking the gun when installed on an "Express Tactical". One or two reports mentioned the rear end of the DSF interfering with the front end of the receiver.

https://www.amazon.com/SureFire-DSF-...owViewpoints=0

Has anyone here experienced this or heard of such a problem?

Has anyone here use or used a DSF-870 on an Express, preferably a 25077 with the one-piece 6 rd mag tube? If so, were there any issues?
    Unless I missed a photo showing the fit, I'd be inclined to say that the person installing it let it rotate around the forend tube when torquing the castle nut. I've seen other forends rub the barrel quite significantly if it rotates on the tube during install. Not saying it can't be the DSF, but it sounds like an install error to me.

Feedback Score
    All of our 870 Police Magnums at work are outfitted with the older generation surefire fore end (couldn't tell you when) and they all have been beat to absolute shit but still work. The batteries do die though. There's pros and cons but if you want one I say get one. I doubt yours will see the abuse and neglect these have.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I got rid of mine because I hated the angle of my hand on the pump....it felt awkward and was very uncomfortable....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk