Thread: Remington Hog Hammer - Viable as a Multipurpose SD/Hunting Round?

Feedback Score

Remington Hog Hammer - Viable as a Multipurpose SD/Hunting Round?

I know it uses the 62gr TSX, which outside of the harder barriers does pretty well, but would this make anyone's Top 3 or Top 5 lists for HD and SHTF for hunting? Normally it's too overpriced when comparing to the other top SD rounds. I found an okay deal, so I'm giving it a more serious look. I already have quite a few of the following stashed away.

Remington CLUB
    Federal Fusion
    Black Hills TSX 50s
    Federal Trophy Bonded Tip

This is on top of a bunch of mil-surplus 55 and 62s. The price on the Hog Hammer rounds is good. Not great. Yea or nay?
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    It would not make my top 3. I am really happy with the Black Hills 50g for HD due to its barrier abilities, even more so now with it being the sealed "optimized" version.

I have hunted with the ASYM 70g TSX and have been impressed with the results, even on hogs. So much so that it was the bullet I chose when I started reloading; attempting to make my own version of the military's legendary 70g brown tip.

And have my go-to gun's mags loaded with duty ammo that the Bureau issues us, the .223 Federal 62g, and have seen gel tests and some more realistic results from that round that left no doubt as to its capabilities.

I suppose the hog hammer rounds would be an acceptable replacement for my 70 grain TSX choices though and would yield similar results.
    Last edited by rocsteady; 01-06-17 at 22:33.
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    Well the sale is long gone, and I ended up passing. I've got plenty of the other rounds mentioned in my OP. I always seem to be able to find either the the CLUB and Fusion/GD for as good or better a price as the sale on those Hog Hammers. I too love the TSX, which was the only reason I was giving the 62s a look. Still, when it comes to the TSX, the 50s are where it's at. At least for my purposes.

Even though the reply is a little late, I am glad you posted. Regarding your Bureau's Federal 62s, are you referring to the Fusion or TBBC?

If it's the Fusion, I've seen a couple of people in LE mention that Armscor uses the same bullet in their bonded loading. Any chance you've heard the same? The reason I'd like to confirm is I found an awesome deal on the Armscor loading after I'd heard the rumor it was a Fusion bullet. I purchased a smaller order just to try them out, as they're almost affordable enough to play my range ammo role. It'd be a nice bonus if they were truly Fusion bullets, and make for an awesome round to stack deep that could pull double duty in a SHTF scenario. Much better than the 193 and 855 I've relegated to the range and rainy day role.

I figure Agencies who run the Federal load in the field would be inclined to save some money on training if Armscor's is essentially a clone. It certainly seems plausible, and those that have mentioned this seem to be credible, but it never hurts to try and triple-check.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The sale is back on at Midway so I decided to give these a try.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/49...free-box-of-20
    While the Hornady 55gr VMAX are awesome target rounds, and I will continue to use them for that, I was thoroughly unimpressed with their performance inside a deer this year. I am hopeful that these Barnes bullets will perform better...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sva01 View Post
    The sale is back on at Midway so I decided to give these a try.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/49...free-box-of-20
    While the Hornady 55gr VMAX are awesome target rounds, and I will continue to use them for that, I was thoroughly unimpressed with their performance inside a deer this year. I am hopeful that these Barnes bullets will perform better...
    Lol, you know the "V" in "vmax" doesn't stand for venison, right?

Feedback Score
    So this is the duty ammo we carry. IMG_20160421_194734391.jpg

Green tip for training and the Federal for work.

As far as the fusion and armscor goes, I don't know much.
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rocsteady View Post
    So this is the duty ammo we carry. IMG_20160421_194734391.jpg

Green tip for training and the Federal for work.

As far as the fusion and armscor goes, I don't know much.
    Thanks for clarifying. That TBBC is an excellent round, but can be hard to find on the civilian side. No worries about the Fusion/Armscor question.

-Army Chief