Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New Springfield Armory AR

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ar_noob View Post
    Also two of them melted during the event.
    Well, to be fair, Magpul's polymer handguard are known to catch fire during multiple mag dumps too.

But, that BCM handguard is butt ugly IMHO.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Good on Springfield, says me. I also thought this was gonna be an XD, having given up a long time ago on them bringing an AR out!

This is the first time I've really gone to TTAG and read something through, and I find it well written and not sounding like punches pulled "in consideration of". SA must have made everyone sign some pretty strict NDA's, this was one well and long-kept secret! OR maybe there were, um, pics from the after party :-)

SA does a lot of things right. Like everyone else, the don't do everything right, especially when doing it for the first time. That HG issue to me is pretty minor as few will melt it, and many will change it. I would not be surprised though if they start coming with something else before many get out there.

As to individual likes / dislikes regarding features and cosmetics, SA showing up late for the show and all that, my thought is, more on the market benefits us all, especially when it comes from someone this big and this tenured in the industry.

What I really like is that it's pretty plain Jane and not all over tacktickelized and whiz-banged up with nonstandardness.

If I see one and it sucks I'll call it out but meanwhile I say welcome to the market.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Good on Springfield, says me. I also thought this was gonna be an XD, having given up a long time ago on them bringing an AR out!

This is the first time I've really gone to TTAG and read something through, and I find it well written and not sounding like punches pulled "in consideration of". SA must have made everyone sign some pretty strict NDA's, this was one well and long-kept secret! OR maybe there were, um, pics from the after party :-)

SA does a lot of things right. Like everyone else, the don't do everything right, especially when doing it for the first time. That HG issue to me is pretty minor as few will melt it, and many will change it. I would not be surprised though if they start coming with something else before many get out there.

As to individual likes / dislikes regarding features and cosmetics, SA showing up late for the show and all that, my thought is, more on the market benefits us all, especially when it comes from someone this big and this tenured in the industry.

What I really like is that it's pretty plain Jane and not all over tacktickelized and whiz-banged up with nonstandardness.

If I see one and it sucks I'll call it out but meanwhile I say welcome to the market.
    Completely agree

Feedback Score
    Why a 1:8 barrel though? At that price point I'd spend a little more for a 6920. If they'd have gone 1:7, ditched the delta ring and put a better handguard it would be a lot better gun. I think

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Absolutely agree with Ned. Looks like a decent rifle. I will say that the staking on the gas key and the castle nut is complete clown shoes though. That is easily remedied with a MOAKS tool. That looks like a miss though.

All in all, I say good deal. The market always has room for an entry level, decently appointed rifle. If the statistics bear out to be correct, many will be sold and shot 50-100 rounds, and put away. Better to have another choice in these times though. I find it interesting that they debuted when they did. With the election right around the corner, I think they will sell as many as they can get out right now. In 10 days or so, things may be harder to aquire.

I'd buy one if I was in the market. IF.... ��

I think it's cool enough.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Why a 1:8 barrel though? At that price point I'd spend a little more for a 6920. If they'd have gone 1:7, ditched the delta ring and put a better handguard it would be a lot better gun. I think

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Most people shoot light 55gr bullets and the guns that I own that are 1:8 are very accurate with 55gr.

Better handguard as in a free float? That would have had a significant effect on the price.
    Last edited by themonk; 11-01-16 at 09:18. Reason: added quote

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If it comes in on the street at $800 or less they won't be able to keep them in stock.

Feedback Score
    1:8 twist will shoot every bullet that is meant to be seated to magazine length. It looks fine, is spec'ed about the same as a PSA/S&W/Aero, and comes froma good company. There are a number of things that they could of done different to stand out, like a unique barrel profile, muzzle device or charging handle. But then again, buying the same parts that everyone else buys is cheaper than spec'ing something new. At least they upgraded the furniture.

It's another rifle that won't do anything different than a (INSERT RIFLE BRAND HERE) that has iron sights attached to it, but options are always good.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post

Couldn't have said it better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrgunsngear View Post
    If it comes in on the street at $800 or less they won't be able to keep them in stock.
    Unfortunately, I fear the folks buying them are people that don't know any better. Good on Springfield for marketing something right before the great panic of 2016/2017. However, for that price, the OEM style rifles still look really good. A local is saying they will be between $8-900, but articles are showing around the $750 mark. Regardless, the only real competition this thing has are similar offerings from Ruger, DPMS, Bushmaster, and surprisingly Armalite.

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast