Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer hunters, do you use a suppressor?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Deer hunters, do you use a suppressor?

Last year I used a 16" Douglas barreled upper with a 1lb 9" .30 cal can and it was a little long and heavy. This year I'm gonna use a 12.5" upper and unloaded weight as pictured is still 9.4 lbs so I'm wondering if it's even worth it. For you seasoned hunters, does shooting 1-2 rounds suppressed make a difference if you use electronic ears?

People start out wanting to do shooting as a hobby and it ends up their hobby is actually buying and operating expensive tools. Doesn't make sense when you think about it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I do not use ears if I am using a can.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Starting next year my deer hunting setup will be a 6.5 Grendel AR with a Saker 7.62 and no ears. Should have been this year but I'm building the rifle and there was a problem with the Cerakote so... Ah well, there's always next year.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yes I've been using can's hunting since it was legal in my State - which is a number of years. I do realize that cans are not OSHA hearing safe, but when hunting deer where there will be at most 2 shots during rifle season I don't wear ear pro during this season suppressed.

Also I don't worry about rifle weight much as I'm not walking far to a stand or blind, once on stand or in a blind weight is a non issue except for reducing felt recoil. I use my 762SD which is 23 oz mounted to a Rem 700 Varmint with the barrel cut to 20" originally it had a Manners T4A stock and a NF F1 Scope - she was a relatively heavy pig around 16 lbs. Now it sits in a HS Precision Stock so I dropped some weight cutting the 26" barrel back and going to a lighter stock, but if I had to hump it regularly or if I were pushing deer back in the NE, I'd be using something a bit lighter and more handy.

I like hearing the deep thud of the bullet hitting meat.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    I hunt with a can every chance I get. I hate bringing / wearing ears. I have much worse hearing in my left ear from many rounds hunting without ears in the last 20 years. If your wearing ears reguardless, why hump the can around unless you have short hikes into a stand.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I hunt with a LMT MWS and wear ears. The rifle weighs at least 11lbs with scope and all and I'm not going to add any additional weight to it with a can. Besides I like having the sound magnification. I've picked up a ton of deer coming in a lot sooner than I would have without the ears on.

Feedback Score
    I have hunted a lot with a supressor (SilencerCo Specwar 7.62), and killed deer, elk, and coyotes suppressed, however i hunt a lot of mule deer and elk in some pretty nasty rugged terrain that requires a lot of hiking, and I started leaving the Can at home for weight and mobility reasons if it's going to be a lot of hiking.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies. I've decided that since I won't not be hiking much (a few hundred to a thousand yards at most and might have an ATV available) I'll leave the 30P-1 attached and will be using it in conjunction with Sordin ear pro to minimize any potential hearing loss.
    People start out wanting to do shooting as a hobby and it ends up their hobby is actually buying and operating expensive tools. Doesn't make sense when you think about it.

Feedback Score
    I use my can hunting as much as I can. As some have mentioned if I'm moving more then I leave it at home and if I'm stationary (tree stand) I take it.

Feedback Score
    I used my can for the first time this year hunting elk. It was extremely nice not to have to deal with ear pro.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast