Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer hunters, do you use a suppressor?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, I'm a 300BLK hunter for most things using 115 brown boxed goodness...
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I've only recently starting hunting with a suppressor, and have never worn hearing pro while hunting in the past. Unless weight and/or mobility are a concern ( which doesn't sound like the case), I think you've be fine.

Feedback Score
    Just got my 6.8 build finished and now working on the .308, both will always be using the can. My dad has hearing loss from once or twice a year unsuppressed and unplugged in just the last 5-10 years, so no way am I going to allow myself 3-4 decades of damage.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Both of my hunting rifles (.308 and 300blk) have shared a specwar762 for several years. Great can, but heavy. This year (well, last year) I sprung for an omega9k for the 300blk. I hardly notice it's on there.

I don't use ear pro when hunting with a can.
    Last edited by MisterHelix; 05-14-17 at 21:53.

Feedback Score
    I hunted last year for whitetail deer with my 16" BCM carbine and a SilencerCo Harvester which is less than a pound, 13 oz I think. Weight is a non issue. I have never hunted big game with hearing pro and I usually have hunted elk with 45-70 govt and more recently .30-06. Maybe someday I'll regret it but I've never heard my rifles report when firing at live targets. That said in the future now that I have the Harvester I will try to only hunt with it. I don't know if it's real but the deer seemed really disoriented when there sister got shot, I talk myself into believing it's because without the muzzle report giving them as localizing a sound the sonic crack alone didn't give them a direction to flee. They seemed to freeze more than I was used to...could be me just trying to be even more enthusiastic about my first can though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Yes, I'm a 300BLK hunter for most things using 115 brown boxed goodness...
    What is this brown boxed goodness?

Feedback Score
    i have always wanted to used silencer for hunter deer or bears but i haven't been able to get my hands one one most dew to procrastination, but i am sure it wil be fun to shoot and still maintain hidden position.

Feedback Score
    I don't have to hike that much and so I use a can on my .308 bolt gun. It is so nice to be able to shoot without ears and without having a ringing in my ears the rest of the day. Even if I did hike I'd be tempted to at least carry my can with me and try to attach it before I took a shot.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have a 338 win mag that I want to take the muzzle brake off and put Sig adapter on for suppressed hunting.
    It's not my Goto gun, but could become my goto if I got it dialed in. Good to see folks are getting it done suppressed.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have a 338 win mag that I want to take the muzzle brake off and put Sig adapter on for suppressed hunting.
    It's not my Goto gun, but could become my goto if I got it dialed in. Good to see folks are getting it done suppressed.

Don't know how double post happened ?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast