Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: KAK 12.5" midlength barrel. Feedback?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I really don't see the need or desire - 14.5 is the shortest Midlength I'm comfortable with. Shorter than that and I guess I'm too dumb to see the advantage of it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would assume some of what makes the midlength system good in a 16" barrel would also apply in the 11.5 or 12.5" format. Less port erosion and a softer recoil impulse.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I would assume some of what makes the midlength system good in a 16" barrel would also apply in the 11.5 or 12.5" format. Less port erosion and a softer recoil impulse.

But wouldn't the port size have to be opened up to run reliably compared to a carbine length gas system with a 11.5 or 12.5 barrel? Therefore negating the benefits of a midlength system in the first place? Dwell time just seems awfully short to me.

Feedback Score
    The port erosion is actually worse in those. The port opening is much larger and allows more gasses/propellant to escape around the base of the bullet and a larger opening for the expanding gasses to flow into and erode it.
    It would not be a softer recoil impulse, unless it was ported for a dedicated ammunition possibly.
    The above is in reference to a non suppressed 11.5"-12.5" 5.56 mid length gassed AR platform.
    Last edited by tom12.7; 11-05-16 at 19:38. Reason: To add clarity

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Can't speak for that one specifically but I built a rifle with the ranier ultramatch 12.5" mid recently. I'm only a few hundred rounds in so far but its eaten everything I've thrown at it thus far, suppressed and un-suppressed. Mostly I've shot m193 and m855 but a little cheap stuff too. It does seem like I'm getting less gas blowback and a little smoother recoil than I did in the rifles prior config of 11.5" carbine gas. That's a completely subjective assessment though.....

Basically I bought it because I had a specific HG in mind that came in 12" and it was a 12.5" barrel that was in stock. Handguard didn't work out because it was longer than advertised and the barrel was shorter than advertised but the barrel itself has been fine....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nova3930 View Post
    Can't speak for that one specifically but I built a rifle with the ranier ultramatch 12.5" mid recently. I'm only a few hundred rounds in so far but its eaten everything I've thrown at it thus far, suppressed and un-suppressed. Mostly I've shot m193 and m855 but a little cheap stuff too. It does seem like I'm getting less gas blowback and a little smoother recoil than I did in the rifles prior config of 11.5" carbine gas. That's a completely subjective assessment though.....

Basically I bought it because I had a specific HG in mind that came in 12" and it was a 12.5" barrel that was in stock. Handguard didn't work out because it was longer than advertised and the barrel was shorter than advertised but the barrel itself has been fine....
    What combination is your point of reference for your thoughts on your 11.5" carbine gas length observation?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    What combination is your point of reference for your thoughts on your 11.5" carbine gas length observation?
    Before I bought the 12.5, that rifle was an 11.5 carbine gas. Ballistic advantage barrel using the same sico omega suppressor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nova3930 View Post
    Before I bought the 12.5, that rifle was an 11.5 carbine gas. Ballistic advantage barrel using the same sico omega suppressor.

The BA barrel wasn't working for you? They make a 12.5in now and have reported on TOS that they'll probably have a 12.5in Hanson profile soon.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Okay, thanks for your point of reference.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The BA barrel wasn't working for you? They make a 12.5in now and have reported on TOS that they'll probably have a 12.5in Hanson profile soon.

BA shot fine. I wanted to try the Aero Precision quantum handguard in 12" flavor so the 11.5 wouldn't have allowed use of my suppressor. Rail ID is big enough but can't access the lock ring.

I can't remember but at the time either the BA 12.5 wasn't out yet or it just wasn't in stock so I went out in left field a bit. It's not my go to rifle so I experiment somewhat.

Ultimately the AP rail was closer to 12.5" and the barrel was closer to 12" so I couldn't use it anyway. Ended up with an slr solo lite.

Last edited by nova3930; 11-05-16 at 21:28.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast