Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 20 year old daughter wants a handgun . Which one ?

Feedback Score

20 year old daughter wants a handgun . Which one ?

20 year old daughter wants a handgun . Which one ? She is getting married next year and moving to Rhode Island which is not a gun friendly state . ( no concealed carry )

So for the house I was thinking a 9 mm . She is small 110 lbs. thinking Glock 19 , Shield , Or what else . If I take her to the store she will want a pink something so I don't even what to go there.

I also suggested A 20 GA, pump . But she what's a pistol .
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Find a range that rents guns and let her see what she shoots best.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What exactly is wrong with a pink pistol?

Not to say she should get a pistol because it's pink but why disregard a quality pistol that she likes and might actually take out and shoot/train with because it's pink?

Rentals and test drives, give her guidance and steer her towards quality but don't push her into something that she ultimately doesn't want or gets because you said so.

Congrats to both of yall for her wanting to go down this path.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skar View Post
    20 year old daughter wants a handgun . Which one ? She is getting married next year and moving to Rhode Island which is not a gun friendly state . ( no concealed carry )

So for the house I was thinking a 9 mm . She is small 110 lbs. thinking Glock 19 , Shield , Or what else . If I take her to the store she will want a pink something so I don't even what to go there.

Thanks
    Both she & you could read the articles in this forum: http://www.corneredcat.com

She doesn't know exactly what she wants. You don't know what to give her. We could suggest every handgun ever made. Even possessing a handgun is only part of the security solution.

Personal security. Weapons, training, practice, physical fitness, mindset, awareness, ammo.
    Physical security. Neighborhood, training, vehicles, awareness, alarms, locks, video, lighting.

Not knowing anything about RI, here's a reference to get an overview: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Rhode_Island

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

So for the house I was thinking a 9 mm . She is small 110 lbs. thinking Glock 19 , Shield , Or what else . If I take her to the store she will want a pink something so I don't even what to go there. I also suggested A 20 GA, pump . But she what's a pistol .
    Thanks
    I bought mine a S&W Shield 9mm. Works well in a purse and is pretty controllable for small hands.

Also, have her read The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-05-16 at 08:02.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Thanks
    RI does not have CCW and is not as anti gun as what's south and north of it, but far from VT, FL, TX:

http://www.usacarry.com/rhode_island...formation.html
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My youngest daughter loves my G43. It fits her small hands perfectly and she shoots it pretty well. She doesn't like the feel of my G19 because it's large to her. But she shoots the G19 better than she does the G43. Find a local range that rents pistols and has trainings classes for women only - preferably with a qualified female instructor. There she can figure out which pistol she likes best while she learns.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Shield 9mm I got my Wife one a year ago she also has small hands. I would 1st be sure she can pull slide rearward if not I would say wheel Gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    Find a local range that rents pistols and has trainings classes for women only - preferably with a qualified female instructor. There she can figure out which pistol she likes best while she learns.
    This... 100%

My wife's favorite is a Browning 1911-380. I'd normally bemoan her choice, but she can empty the magazine into a five inch circle at 10 yards over and over again, and the pistol has never given her an issue. It wouldn't have been my choice for her, but she is fast and accurate with it, and in the end that's what counts.
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Feedback Score
    Sig p239or p225 9mm. Wife likes the 239, slim grip, heavy enough to drink up any recoil.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast