Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 20 year old daughter wants a handgun . Which one ?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I took my daughter (same small size) to the gun shop when she turned 21 to pick out anything she liked.

She ended up with a Ruger SP101 .38sp which is not what she thought he wanted on the way to the shop.

Make her hold and operate most if not all the guns there, only then can he make an educated decision.
    Last edited by SWIGIN; 11-05-16 at 18:41.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Find a range that rents guns and let her see what she shoots best.
    Pretty much sums it up !

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    She needs a .38 s&w j-frame preferably with laser grips. It will be totally reliable and safe to carry . Her chance of having an accidental or negligent discharge will be very low . Further it is very simple to operate . If she gets it with laser grips she will be able to dry fire and build her shooting skills to a degree that she is unlikely to do otherwise.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I'd suggest what I'm doing with my wife. She wanted to get her CCW which I was 100% in agreement with. Actually wish she'd done it a long time ago. She just has no firearms experience so I insisted she get training before actually buying a pistol or carrying.

She's getting a full day of private, one on one instruction in pistol and rifle on 3 Dec using my P320 and one of the ARs. After that we're going to rent some guns so she can decide what she likes.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

20 year old daughter wants a handgun . Which one ?

Only issue with that is rental guns have such a high round count, and parts replaced that the impulse of the gun is completely different from a stock gun.
    Last edited by JulyAZ; 11-05-16 at 20:25.

Feedback Score
    1st handguns suck, try to sway her to a pcc or rifle.

2nd, she should get decent training how to shoot and hold a handgun, then go try a few out.

Find what works thenbuy and practice. Generally larger 9mm handguns provide a vast improvement in performance over small guns, even with people with small hands, once they learn to grip it properly.

Don't worry about recoil impulse, what can she get good groups with? Recoil management is grip and training, as long as the base is something she can work with.

I've found g19 to be very good for small women, much better than sub compacts although there are exceptions.

If carry is not an option, I'd look almost exclusively at full size or near fs guns.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 11-05-16 at 22:03.

Feedback Score
    107 (100%)
    This. Glock 19/17, VP9,Sig320.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If I were a lass....

At a minimum, I'd get a Glock 43 with the mag extenders.
    A Glock 19 most likely. If a 4'10" girl can run a Glock 19, anybody can.

Forego revolvers and shotguns, the manual of arms can be difficult under stress unless you really train. Like not dad taking her out to shoot tin cans. I mean really getting in there and doing the work. After a while that 10lb trigger will be impossible. Same if you have to clear a pump (yes they can double feed).

A good lightweight AR with optic and light topped off with 55 Ballistic Tips or 64 gr power points/soft points will definitely handle 80% of all problems. A Geissele trigger would also be key.

Being cheeky, if I were but a young maiden I'd probably get a 1911 in .38 Super. I dont recommend it but I would do it.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    My daughter always wanted one in tiffany blue but I wasn't willing to get a anything permanently cerakoted like that. But she loved my P320 and the platform lends itself to numerous size / grip configurations / mag capacities so it was an easy choice. 20 seconds it's back to stock with an extra frame and she shoots it great. The color balance in my pic isn't very good, but it's the robins egg / tiffany blue that all the girls seem to like.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Easier to justify crazy colors when the frame is a $35 part and not the whole gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast