Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 20 year old daughter wants a handgun . Which one ?

Feedback Score
    Bullet dog

I picked up a Remington 11-87 auto few years back from my boss . Never fired seems to work fine.
    Maybe I'll put a youth stock on it . Once I replace it . New v3 looks nice .

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    For that size girl I would go with one of the small frame Sigs or set up a VP9 in Small. They shoot nearly identically and fit small hands.

You can probably get a VP9 cheap now since if one gets within 100 yards of a mud puddle it will stop working.

Girls don't like little pistols. They like one's they can hold on to.

I would even recommend a 1911 but the reach to the trigger is too long typically. Operating the controls, etc.

I can guarantee you lay out...

1911.... "I like that" "It's kinda heavy"
    PPS... "I don't know" "That kinda hurts my hand" ( may not apply to V2 )
    VP9... "I like that"
    Sig..."I like that"
    Revolver... "How do I hold it" "I just...(insert various comments here)"

"Which do you like better the VP9 or the Sig?"

In context, the VP9 "ears" could be a plus.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skar View Post
    Bullet dog

I picked up a Remington 11-87 auto few years back from my boss . Never fired seems to work fine.
    Maybe I'll put a youth stock on it . Once I replace it . New v3 looks nice .
    I don'y have experience with the 11-87, but my wife has a 20 gauge Mossberg that she likes. My daughter has a S&W M&P15-22 that works really well. Its an AR 15 that shoots .22LR. Its light weight, easy to handle and no scary recoil. Great way for a kid or new shooter to learn the fundamentals of the AR in my experience. Exact same controls and ergos. It put an Aimpoint Micro on it and my daughter tags 5x7 cards at 50-60 yards all day long. Just a thought…

I'd really like to hear how your daughter fares with the 19. It occurred to me that all of the 19s I'm basing my comments on are 3rd generation. I'm wondering if this issue has been addressed and corrected for the Gen 4 models.
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Feedback Score
    Glock 19 unless it's too fat for her hand. (or if she can't rack the slide)

Sig 229/239 might fit her hand better. (if she can rack the slide) Alot to spend on a first gun..$700+

S&W Shield 9mm if the recoil does'nt bother her (and she can rack the slide)

If she just can't rack slides or doesn't want to take the time to understand how everything works in an auto pistol get her a revolver.

A Ruger LCR .38 or .357 would be great. The .38 costs less but has a little more recoil. The .357 (Shoot .38's from it) has noticeable less recoil.

Both LCR's have a far better, lighter trigger and recoil absorbing frame design (combined with Hogue tamer grip from factory) than the S&W's.

Oh, the Hogue Tamer grip for the LCR is also made in Pink!
    Last edited by Ron3; 12-12-16 at 14:27.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    HK VP9. my wife is the same size and with the grip panels it fits her small hands really well.

Feedback Score
    SIG P225 with night sights and SRT.

Feedback Score
    Took my daughter out to the range yesterday . First couple magazines and first time gun was fired we had a few FTF.

I think it was limp wristing . Told her to lock elbows and give death Grip . All good for the next 50 plus rounds . I will take her out again next time she's home from school . Also had a few brass in the face on the first mag, ? Also limp wristing . Seemed better after firm grip .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Took my daughter out to the range yesterday . First couple magazines and first time gun was fired we had a few FTF.

I think it was limp wristing . Told her to lock elbows and give death Grip . All good for the next 50 plus rounds . I will take her out again next time she's home from school . Also had a few brass in the face on the first mag, ? Also limp wristing . Seemed better after firm grip .
    Did you fire the gun too? If you did, were you seeing brass to the face as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a wife and two daughters (17 and 21)... Wife and 21y.o. like their VP9's... The 17y.o. shoots more and actually ran times on plates to compare the VP9 with my Glock 19. She determined she was faster with the G19 by a large margin, so I gave her my spare.

The 21y.o. and wife carry in their purses. I'm not a big fan of that, but that is their choice. Both have purses large enough for VP9's, so it's not an issue for them. My 17y.o. cannot legally carry, but she has tried on various holsters and is willing to change her clothing habits to carry when the time comes.

If a woman is looking for a nightstand gun, I always recommend a full size gun if they can handle it. I haven't met a woman yet that truly enjoys shooting subcompacts.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Pilot1
    Read post 48 I got her a G19 gen 4 ( adjustable back strap)
    Thanks. I missed that. Great choice.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast