Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning primer pockets

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ View Post
    Wet tumbling produces perfect primer pockets for me every time. No need for an extra step. Aside from occasionally punching some stuck stainless steel pins through the flash hole
    Same for me. But I hear they have larger diameter pins available now that will not get stuck in the primer pockets. I always have a few I have to pull out with needle nose pliers...

Feedback Score
    I Love My Thumlers tumbler. The Brass looks like new when it is finished.

Feedback Score
    unless you are just bored and want to, don't waste your time cleaning primer pockets. i haven't cleaned a primer pocket in 15 years and it hasn't prevented me from getting regular SDs in the low single digits and printing tight groups and winning matches

Feedback Score
    I do. As mentioned before, rifle ammo is a bit of work if you want the good stuff. If not, just get off the shelf stuff.
    I also agree that if there is an accuracy issue, I know its not me on the press. Maybe me on trigger tho lol.
    I leave the flash hole alone tho. Haven't seen enough to make it worthwhile.
    Pistol stuff? Heck no. Tumble 30 min till clean and load it up.
    PSA 16" Midlength 5.56 NATO 1/7 Phosphate MOE Freedom Rifle
    PSA 18" Rifle length 223 wylde 1/7 (nitride) midwest light free float m mod. 3x9 Nikon.
    '65 Win Mod 70 3006
    GEW88 1890 AMBERG

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For a long time I never bothered in order to save time, I didn't notice any difference in accuracy honestly compared to when I used to clean primer pockets. It's a non issue as far as I am concerned.

Eventually I got a sonic cleaner because I wanted a simpler way to assure no brass trimming were in my cases. I still tumble before resizing, but after I resize, trim, and chamfer, I now throw the brass in an ultrasonic cleaner. The ultrasonic cleaner cleans all the brass shavings, cleans the inside of the cases, AND cleans the primer pockets perfectly. I do all of these things in large batches, so time isn't really an issue. As well, my new method using an ultra sonic cleaner and a tumbler, actually saves me a ton of time compared to individually cleaning primer pockets. I think if you want them clean, you should get an ultrasonic, or wet tumbler.

Non issue, but I like the sonic cleaner.
    They are your handloads, load them how you want.

ETA: I am referring to reloading 223.
    Last edited by 5.56 Bonded SP; 11-20-17 at 19:51.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I've never skipped it either.... it's not fodder I know. But my rifle is a 6920 and at best I've done with it, how it's set up, is maybe 0.9 moa. And generally 1.25 moa. I was curious if in that setup if I'd be able to tell the difference.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    From my experience no. You won't notice a difference from primer pockets alone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12