Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat CQB Used question

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Wilson Combat CQB Used question

Hey guys,

My LGS has a used Wilson Combat CQB asking ~$1700. It's a WC003*** prefix, which from looking online I assume is a late 1990s early 2000 gun at best (I emailed Wilson the serial to find out). Any thoughts on the deal? Finish looks like mostly holster wear and some finish worn off around the back of the ejector port, and the night sights need to be replaced. I have no idea how how many rounds are through the gun. Any major issues with an older, assuming higher round count CQB?
    Blake

Feedback Score
    Wilson used to use MIM parts, which some folks have a strong aversion to; if you're one of them, might want to check if this CQB is from that era. Also, it was only a few years ago that Wilson made their "bullet proof" parts line standard rather than an added cost option, if it matters to you to have some cast parts in a Wilson. All their parts, MIM, cast or forge are quality.

The older Wilsons have a good reputation overall; there wasn't a "bad batch" or period. No way to know if the price is decent without a detail strip and function check. If you're craving a Wilson and that's the farther end of your available budget with a little room to spare, buy it and send it to Wilson for a walk-through, spec check and basic refresh.

If you're craving a Wilson and have considerably more budget breathing room, buy a new one.

If you're just craving a good 1911 at this price point and no higher, suggest looking at Dan Wesson or Les Baer unless you enjoy a little more of a gamble, in which case grab this one.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Get it. A used CQB is the best value around in 1911s.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    There was nothing wrong with wilsons from the 90's. I have one built on a colt in 1997 (and one from the 80s, and one from 1992) and it's spectacular. they had some superstars in the shop at the time: Vic Tibbets, Ron Phillips, Chris Peters, etc.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great info! I was originally looking to buy the new Colt Combat Unit Rail gun and then ran across this. Seems that the Colt's being built right now are well regarded at their price point, any thoughts on that new vs going with this CQB. I contacted Wilson, it was a factory gun from 2000, but thats about all they knew. No digital records from that far back.

I figure after sending it to them for new sights, I'd be in it $5-600 more over the Colt.
    Blake

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Kind of hard for me to say no to a Wilson for well under $2k. I have a Colt Combat Unit and it's a great pistol but it wasn't perfect out of the box either.

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    I had a custom shop marine rail gun and an older (although not as old as yours) Wilson. No contest...Wilson all day. I think i paid 2100 for the Wilson and $1900 for the Colt. Easy decision for me when they're that close.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    You may find good info here as well.
    https://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31
    Good luck,
    Eric

Feedback Score
    If you can see, handle & inspect the gun & it's in good-very good condition, I'd say that sounds like a good price.

I have a 2002 build CQB & it's the only 1911 I carry anymore. My other three seldom even see any range time. The only thing I've done to it is replace the burned out night sights with a gold bead front & plain battlesight rear. Oh, & a few recoil springs.

I wouldn't worry too much about the mim parts. I called Wilson about five years ago to ask if I should replace the internals with their newer Bulletproof parts. They said they'd do it if I really wanted it done, but basically the reply was that if something breaks, sent it in & they'll fix it under warranty, otherwise why spend all that money to fix something that ain't broke & isn't likely to break. I've put maybe 10-15,000 rounds through it since then.
    Last edited by Ironbutt; 11-08-16 at 09:05.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Got it! It'll be going back to Wilson this week to get a battlesight upgrade and a full exam. Gun looks to be in great condition for its age.

IMG_5262.jpg
    Last edited by blake6551; 11-09-16 at 00:47.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast