Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on 9mm buffer configurations

Feedback Score

Opinions on 9mm buffer configurations

What do you suggest is the best buffer set-up to run if I am going to have a 5" 9mm barrel with a ramped bolt and also using a suppressor?

I don't want so much reciprocal weight going back forward into the bolt catch for bolt hold-open that I end up breaking my bolt catch or bolt catch pin.

Right now I have a standard RRA 9mm buffer and a chrome silicon buffer spring.

I am thinking about:

RRA 9mm buffer
    ST-9X
    Enidine

with:
    Standard recoil spring
    Chrome silicon recoil spring
    Wolff extra power recoil spring

Which combo do you think will work best, giving me functioning bolt hold-open without hitting too hard on the forward reciprocation?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    RRA 9mm buffer with standard rate CAR buffer spring.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    ST-9X is the way to go.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    RRA 9mm buffer with standard rate CAR buffer spring.
    gotm4, I already have a H3 buffer sitting around doing nothing, is it worth while to get a dedicated RRA 9mm buffer? This would be for a 10.5" 9mm.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I was thinking of trying one of Spike's ST-9x but the $60 cost turned me off.

Feedback Score
    Is anyone familar with the 9mm action spring that Brownells sells with the 9mm buffer? It is a different part number than a conventional action spring and I was wondering what the difference between the two springs was.
    http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting realism and excellence in combative shooting.

Feedback Score
    I have often wondered that same thing about the 9mm spring.

Feedback Score
    The longer dedicated 9mm buffers are the way to go. The Hahn,Slash,and Spikes
    9x are the ticket. The dedicated buffers limit overtravel of the bolt. The heavier bufferes increase lockup time which is needed on the 9mm uppers. Especially when running a can. Problem with the RRA 9mm buffer and H1,H2,and H3 is they are alll standard carbine length and allow excess rearward bolt travel which in turn causes ejection problems and in some cases parts breakage.
    If at very least.....use the 9mm RRA buffer with the Spikes spacer if you want to save money.

The 9mmRRA spring is basically equal to the Wolff XP spring. It is stronger.

I run the Wolff XP spring and the Spikes ST9x buffer on my suppressed gun. It cycles fine and stays locked up longer to eliminate as much chamber pop as possible. My gun cycles and ejects everything just fine. On FA the cyclic rate is slowed down alot with this setup as well. My CED timer says around 550-600 rpm. Its very easy to shoot on FA in this configuration.
    ---Amateurs do it til they get it right. Professionals do it til they can't get it wrong---

--Your worst needs to be better than their best--

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 00bullitt View Post
    The longer dedicated 9mm buffers are the way to go. The Hahn,Slash,and Spikes
    9x are the ticket. The dedicated buffers limit overtravel of the bolt. The heavier bufferes increase lockup time which is needed on the 9mm uppers. Especially when running a can. Problem with the RRA 9mm buffer and H1,H2,and H3 is they are alll standard carbine length and allow excess rearward bolt travel which in turn causes ejection problems and in some cases parts breakage.
    If at very least.....use the 9mm RRA buffer with the Spikes spacer if you want to save money.

The 9mmRRA spring is basically equal to the Wolff XP spring. It is stronger.

I run the Wolff XP spring and the Spikes ST9x buffer on my suppressed gun. It cycles fine and stays locked up longer to eliminate as much chamber pop as possible. My gun cycles and ejects everything just fine. On FA the cyclic rate is slowed down alot with this setup as well. My CED timer says around 550-600 rpm. Its very easy to shoot on FA in this configuration.
    So these longer buffers are to be used in a CAR stock setup or are they used in the long rifle receiver extentions?

Feedback Score
    They are used in the CAR tubes. They are longer than standard CAR buffers and shorter than A2 buffers. Not to be used in A2 fixed stock setups.
    ---Amateurs do it til they get it right. Professionals do it til they can't get it wrong---

--Your worst needs to be better than their best--

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast