Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "Critique my firearm picture" thread

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

"Critique my firearm picture" thread

This is a critique thread.

Please include why the pic was shot (what you are showing off), what you like about the picture, and what you don't like about it. This gives people something to work off so their comments make some sense.

There are already a million threads and youtube videos about how to shoot pictures of various objects, to include firearms.

Anyone can post a picture in this thread, HOWEVER, by posting in this thread you are showing that you are open to the opinion of others. The firearm MUST be yours (unless a military weapon or of someone else shooting), and the picture MUST be one that you took.

Give a little info about the picture and state what you do or don't like about it. Other people posting are expected to give comment in a professional manner, meaning that "you suck" comments aren't going to fly. Opinions vary, which means people posting should remember their view are subjective, and no one likes to be insulted for no reason. Be nice, be respectful, be HONEST in your thoughts. I don't expect people to like everything we (wife or I) shoot.

Lastly, this is NOT a how to thread. Don't have hurt feelings that people don't want to tell you their secrets, and many guys lie to pretend they don't use any post processing. That doesn't matter as that isn't what this thread is about. This is a critique thread about the picture itself.
    Last edited by Stickman; 11-09-16 at 21:20.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'll start with a critique of one of mine, feel free to include your own thoughts. The idea is that we will all learn (hopefully).

Why it was shot: This pic was shot to showcase the Magpul AK furniture, so the idea was to blend the Russian "feel", with the newer US items.

What I like: I think the Soviet uniform helps with the overall image, and the lack of, or muted colors works with the overall concept.

What I don't like: In general, the image is a bit too centered, and while I don't mind breaking the rules, it doesn't change the subject would be better placed off to the side.

Last edited by Stickman; 11-09-16 at 17:02.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ok Stick, I'm game.

Here's my first SBR a Daniel defense complete MK18.

It's essentially a safe queen not the gun to shoot at the first gonna grab. It's Cerakoted in tungsten grey I had to Cerakote it because my first NFA engraving turned out horrible barely went to the anodizing didn't scratch the aluminum so I had to take off the finish, sanded it down to the bare aluminum and get it re engraved. I'd much prefer if it was still anodized. It's over gassed so I don't prefer to shoot it. It was my dream gun so I went all out on it and now I don't even use it.

Let me know:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    ^^^ what buffer are you running? A5H4 will calm it down most likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    ^^^ what buffer are you running? A5H4 will calm it down most likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Springco Blue, and at age 3. But I'm gonna switch it to a colt barrel with a proper spec Gas port in the next few months here hoping that will help it.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I used to dabble with a Canon 6D for a while. I never got great with it but really enjoyed doing it. I snapped this in my front yard just messing with settings on the camera. It is my HK MR556. (Also my profile pic) I was trying to play with the shadow around the gun to give more contrast without dialing it up in photoshop. It was a photo I was taking for an online blog.
    Last edited by CharlieDeltaJuliet; 11-11-16 at 17:32.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Nice looking rifles Gentlemen. Best I can do is a cellphone picture. I am not an expert on all the filters and light settings.
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    Ok Stick, I'm game.

Here's my first SBR a Daniel defense complete MK18.

It's essentially a safe queen not the gun to shoot at the first gonna grab. It's Cerakoted in tungsten grey I had to Cerakote it because my first NFA engraving turned out horrible barely went to the anodizing didn't scratch the aluminum so I had to take off the finish, sanded it down to the bare aluminum and get it re engraved. I'd much prefer if it was still anodized. It's over gassed so I don't prefer to shoot it. It was my dream gun so I went all out on it and now I don't even use it.

Let me know:
    You didn't list what you were trying to do with the pic, what you liked, or what you didn't like. That makes it difficult to keep any feedback in keeping with what you were trying to do.

First and foremost, if you are going to take pictures, carpet is never going to be a good overall look. Your lighting appears nice and even, but it still doesn't make anyone take real notice as it is still "a gun on the floor". Had this same picture with same lighting been taken on concrete, it would have had a more industrial look (especially with those colors) and it would have been a substantially more viable image.

The second thing would be to fold the sling up in a manner that doesn't look like a drunken snake. Slings are hard to make look decent in pictures, which is why they typically aren't used in adwork.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoochild View Post
    Nice looking rifles Gentlemen. Best I can do is a cellphone picture. I am not an expert on all the filters and light settings.
    The easiest way to shoot decent pictures is to wait for a cloudy day, then put the weapon down on concrete. Presto, easy, simple, and good picture. Even with a cellphone they turn out great.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    You didn't list what you were trying to do with the pic, what you liked, or what you didn't like. That makes it difficult to keep any feedback in keeping with what you were trying to do.

First and foremost, if you are going to take pictures, carpet is never going to be a good overall look. Your lighting appears nice and even, but it still doesn't make anyone take real notice as it is still "a gun on the floor". Had this same picture with same lighting been taken on concrete, it would have had a more industrial look (especially with those colors) and it would have been a substantially more viable image.

The second thing would be to fold the sling up in a manner that doesn't look like a drunken snake. Slings are hard to make look decent in pictures, which is why they typically aren't used in adwork.
    Oh my bad I misunderstood, I thought this was just critiquing of the Firearms, not the photos as a whole.

Let me try this again.

One of my favorite pictures I've taken

The the focus of the photo, being able to capture the firearm while still getting a detailed image of the branch it's resting on. I wasn't using a tripod, so it made it difficult to hold this while trying to get a clean shot of the dot, it proved too hard. I do wish I had moved that front lens cap out of the way to maintain a feel of symmetry to the firearm . I also like the feel of a foggyness of the photo, this was done only using the manual focus of the lens on a clear blue day. The filter enhanced it but it was there before I edited the photo.
    Last edited by JulyAZ; 11-09-16 at 19:19.

Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast