Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: "Critique my firearm picture" thread

Feedback Score
    I'll play:

This is a photo I shot of one of the PJ's while out with them on a training mission. They were out on a CASEVAC exercise, with OPFOR, all using UTM rounds. I really dug the lighting, depth of field and composition of the photo, but the blue UTM mags drive me crazy! In a civilian setting or on commercial work, I would just alter the color and move on, but in the world of photojournalism, "manipulating" the photo like that is a big no-no.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by conspiro agnew View Post
    I'll play:

This is a photo I shot of one of the PJ's while out with them on a training mission. They were out on a CASEVAC exercise, with OPFOR, all using UTM rounds. I really dug the lighting, depth of field and composition of the photo, but the blue UTM mags drive me crazy! In a civilian setting or on commercial work, I would just alter the color and move on, but in the world of photojournalism, "manipulating" the photo like that is a big no-no.

When you play journalist, you play by those rules. When you clock out, you play by commercial rules.

The blue mag isn't your fault, nor is him flying the flag on his chest backwards.

The change that I would have liked to have seen in it personally is in closer, and shooting wide angle from lower. I totally understand that isn't always an option when you are supposed to stay out of the way and play JAFO.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAUSER202 View Post
    Attachment 42621
    I pretty happy with this one, except the score card sticking out of the pocket. I didnt notice until a week after I took it. I find it really difficult to combine photography with my other hobbies, for me they both suffer.
    The score card doesn't bother me in the least. The image is very good as it stands, though a higher shutter speed might have been nice. I would have also framed it differently so his forward hand wasn't chopped. However, it is still a very nice capture.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    The score card doesn't bother me in the least. The image is very good as it stands, though a higher shutter speed might have been nice. I would have also framed it differently so his forward hand wasn't chopped. However, it is still a very nice capture.
    Thanks. I have really enjoyed your photography on the forum, you have a great style and impeccable technique in your PP. I agree about the hand, the framing was tough. The camera was on a tripod with a friend hitting the cable release, with me as the subject. I shot more than a box of shells trying to get the right mix of blur in the shells and their position during ejection. The framing was better on a lot of the pics, but this one had the best mix of what I was wanting to capture. I would love to do it again with someone else shooting.
    For the higher shutter speed, do you feel it would be a stronger image with the shells sharper?
    Last edited by MAUSER202; 11-30-16 at 05:30.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'll play. Here's my Noveske 14.5 Lo-Pro and Colt Rail Gun. I don't have much for a photography setup, so the best I can do is usually the concrete driveway for a background. I like that the lighting was cooperative enough and the background uncluttered for this to be one of the better gun pics I've taken. I also think I did a good job keeping the sling out of the way, using it to prop up both guns, and having it look natural. The sling also gives the rifle a 'complete' look, IMO. As far as what I don't like, well both guns are all black so there's nothing in particular to draw the eye except the Vickers sling but I suppose that isn't a photography problem.

ETA: I should also share this. This is a Star Model BM 9mm pistol I had a few years ago. This has always been one of my favorite pictures, though it may be for sentimental reasons because I was extremely fond of this pistol and unfortunately I only owned it for a couple months before it was stolen.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-03-16 at 21:47.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I-phone on a deer hunt last week.

Miserable dusty and the Hot H2O heater shot craps at the ranch house.
    Cold showers, hard H2O, soap don't work- f'ng grubby all week.
    Gotta love it.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I-phone on a deer hunt last week.

Miserable dusty and the Hot H2O heater shot craps at the ranch house.
    Cold showers, hard H2O, soap don't work- f'ng grubby all week.
    Gotta love it.

I love hunting with ARs and I love the look of a dirty gun in the field.
    Good pic man.

What is the square on the magwell? Doesn't affect the picture negatively, just curious.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Good eye.
    It was a piece of masking tape with magic marker telling me which ammo this one is dialed in for.
    I have enough ARs I can't remember which is dialed in with what......
    It negatively affected the feel of the photo.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Decided to take some more pictures of my new 12.5 on my way back from testing the new port size.

As suggested by Stickman, I didn't include other rifles / uppers.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I also wanted to take some without the sling and with a magazine:

Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast