Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: "Critique my firearm picture" thread

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    First and foremost, if you are going to take pictures, carpet is never going to be a good overall look. Your lighting appears nice and even, but it still doesn't make anyone take real notice as it is still "a gun on the floor".
    With regards to "a gun on the floor" picture... Do you feel if an individual were to include their feet in the photo, should they match their socks to the carpet, or should they match them to the firearm?

Thoughts?

Of course we all know that bare feet are just nasty & should never be included...

Congrats on your own sub-forum Stick! Thanks for your service & keep up the good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Oh man I'm going to like this thread. I've been thinking about taking some photos and the first thing I thought was 'I wish I could get Stickman to have some thoughts on them'. I figured that would be a non starter. Now I have good excuse to go for it.

On your photo, which looks different to me when it's displayed in small size vs blown up on screen. I like the things you mentioned but the thing that hit me was not what you intended to convey regarding the "why it was shot". What hit my eye was his chin / neck and the shadow in the center. It is so symmetrical his chin looks like a birds wings or some sort large insect or such. Like a shadow of an alien cast on him. It's so contrasty it draws my eye from the intended subject. For whatever reason when it's blown up it doesn't seem to be as noticeable or drawing but it's still there. It's like two subject's in the photo and his chin/neck takes top seat. The centering really doesn't bother me.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    This is going to be an interesting thread to follow. Thanks for starting this Stick.
    Last edited by drtywk; 11-09-16 at 20:20.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    Oh my bad I misunderstood, I thought this was just critiquing of the Firearms, not the photos as a whole.

Let me try this again.

One of my favorite pictures I've taken

The the focus of the photo, being able to capture the firearm while still getting a detailed image of the branch it's resting on. I wasn't using a tripod, so it made it difficult to hold this while trying to get a clean shot of the dot, it proved too hard. I do wish I had moved that front lens cap out of the way to maintain a feel of symmetry to the firearm . I also like the feel of a foggyness of the photo, this was done only using the manual focus of the lens on a clear blue day. The filter enhanced it but it was there before I edited the photo.

The whitebalance is a little off to my eye (and calibrated monitor), but that is something which is subjective. For me personally, if it were shifted a bit more to the cool side, the picture would give that crisp cool feeling of a early morning cold foggy day. I love the depth of field, especially that it also shows the branch. The dead center offends me a bit, but not enough to make me vomit like feet in a picture or anything like that. Overall, this is good (to my eye).
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Oh man I'm going to like this thread. I've been thinking about taking some photos and the first thing I thought was 'I wish I could get Stickman to have some thoughts on them'. I figured that would be a non starter. Now I have good excuse to go for it.

On your photo, which looks different to me when it's displayed in small size vs blown up on screen. I like the things you mentioned but the thing that hit me was not what you intended to convey regarding the "why it was shot". What hit my eye was his chin / neck and the shadow in the center. It is so symmetrical his chin looks like a birds wings or some sort large insect or such. Like a shadow of an alien cast on him. It's so contrasty it draws my eye from the intended subject. For whatever reason when it's blown up it doesn't seem to be as noticeable or drawing but it's still there. It's like two subject's in the photo and his chin/neck takes top seat. The centering really doesn't bother me.

Glad you like the concept, I think it will be fun. The chin is in the picture to give a little more humanity, but to remove the facial features. When there is a human head, we automatically look as viewers into the face and eyes and it becomes the focus of the pics in the vast majority of cases. I agree viewing on a phone, versus a larger monitor makes a big difference. Thanks for the input!
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    With regards to "a gun on the floor" picture... Do you feel if an individual were to include their feet in the photo, should they match their socks to the carpet, or should they match them to the firearm?

Thoughts?

Of course we all know that bare feet are just nasty & should never be included...

Congrats on your own sub-forum Stick! Thanks for your service & keep up the good work.
    I would have no problems personally beating people who put feet in photos, especially bare feet. No one wants to see hairy hobbit toes, some of us could be eating!!
    Stick

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'm breaking one of the requirements, which is that I don't own that 249. Couldn't resist to participate in a photography thread!

Why: I had a chance to break out of the mundane office to run around the Monte Kali event in Germany, pretending to be Public Affairs.
    Likes: Unity of nations coming together to participate in such an awesome event. Not the standard "action" PAO shot. I had been very conscious about the cardinal 3's in pattern during this day.
    Dislikes: Not having the proper credentials, I wasn't able to get up all in there. Typical military safety rules kept me behind way behind the firing line and stuck with a 35mm lens.

Last edited by contax_shooter; 11-09-16 at 21:11.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by contax_shooter View Post
    I'm breaking one of the requirements, which is that I don't own that 249. Couldn't resist to participate in a photography thread!

Why: I had a chance to break out of the mundane office to run around the Monte Kali event in Germany, pretending to be Public Affairs.
    Likes: Unity of nations coming together to participate in such an awesome event. Not the standard "action" PAO shot. I had been very conscious about the cardinal 3's in pattern during this day.
    Dislikes: Not having the proper credentials, I wasn't able to get up all in there. Typical military safety rules kept me behind way behind the firing line and stuck with a 35mm lens.

I think we can let it slide when we are talking about military weapons. I get what you mean with rule of threes, but in this case wonder if the image itself wouldn't tell a better story if it were cropped to just the two individuals. Then again, I don't think the way it is framed, and what you had to work with really gave you much choice but to end up with what you have. The lighting is great, the instructor on the far right becomes interesting and is telling a story with his movement, and that comes together nicely. The US trooper on the left doesn't do much for the shot, but having him cropped and partially in the pic wouldn't have worked well at all in my opinion.

A great picture would have been shooting with a 24 or 35mm from on the ground to the left of the gunner looking up and over his shoulder at the instructor. However, we are stuck with what we can do at times.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Thanks for the critique Stick! I probably should've revised my original post to accommodate for the series I made from that day, there isn't just ONE photo that was strong but altogether in a booklet I made it worked out. Again, handicaps with range safety aside: your suggestion of getting in close to the left of the German gunner's side would've worked well. I didn't think of that until you mentioned it. It's nice to reflect back on old work, figure out what worked and what didn't so we can apply it to the next "assignment."

I'm a huge photography nerd and study quite a lot of it. All are shot on film, Portra 400.

Here's another from the same day with the pattern of 3's again. My dislike with this is that I could've waited a little longer for the rounds to hit the backdrop and dust to kick up for a more lively photo.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Great thread idea!

I took this one a few years ago with a Canon Rebel XS and a 50mm I think. I was trying to capture the action of the shot. The FPS on that camera is not very high so I was having to time as best as I could. What I believe is the projectile ahead of the muzzle was the cherry on top. I'm curious about thoughts on the composition for firing shots. The light could be better but it was what I had to deal with. Also curious on how others may have processed it?

Overall, I really like this shot and my buddy was stoked with it.

Cheers.

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast