Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: "Critique my firearm picture" thread

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    Just trying to get good high detailed picture of my gun. I'm terrible about staging pictures since I'm an engineer and not creative in that area. I was trying to get the lighting right with a couple of crappy lamps. I was wanting a picture that gave me good depth of field and high detail of all parts of the gun. The only post editing of the pictures was to water mark it.

Depth of field is decent, though I probably would have gone higher than F11 if I were shooting it with my own equipment. I routinely shoot at F14 to keep edges sharp.

The picture is very good. Regarding changes or making it better, there are only a few very minor items and they are very very nit picky. As it stands now, it is certainly good enough for publication, poster, etc.. It is more than good enough for showing an item online.

If you look at the handguard, you can see illumination creating highlights on a portion of it, an upgraded version of this picture would showcase that highlight evenly across the entire handguard and not just the forward half. This is a tiny detail, but one which would better than image.

If you look at the barrel fluting, a little more contrast via lighting (or post processing) would help the front end.

The trigger could use a little illumination increase as well.

Although I have already said it, I'll point out again that these are highly minor details which I don't honestly think anyone would notice or that most would even care about it.

Great shot.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    In all honesty I’m not sure what I was going for here, but I like the way it turned out.
    I think it is highly over saturated, which makes it very subjective.

The focus and clarity appears to be lacking. I am guessing this is an iphone picture, or other cell phone creation. It makes it hard to assess the image when comparing it to others in this thread.

In general, the eye goes to the dead vegetation from first view. If posted online, someone scrolling may not notice the weapon, but that isn't always a bad thing depending on the overall look and feel desired in the image.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Lets start with the second picture, because that to my eye is a simple cure. I have taken the liberty of cropping and rotating the image, and remarked it is there is no question that YOU are the one who shot it, and not I. The shadow / minor grey should get cleaned up for this, but the idea isn't for me to mess around with your image, it was just to show the difference with rotation.

I agree with you with the dummy rounds not helping anything, but the rest of the image, as shown, is very very good. Let me know what you think of the difference with the crop the way I did it. You might hate it, and that is fine. If you want the image pulled down please let me know, I am certainly not attempting to create any hostilities.
    Thanks for looking at my noobish attempts at shooting pictures. If I did not want criticism of the pictures I would have not posted them here so feel free to say any thing you want about any thing I post in this thread. Unfortunately I'm not seeing your edit of the picture. Feel free to change it as you think it needs to be. I plan to reshoot the picture at some point in the future and use a real ammo instead. Basically I'm trying to duplicate my dumb luck and any suggested changes will help.

As for shooting the picture, I have a problem with a lack of decent lights because I don't own any. So I'm using some poster board to reflect some florescent lights in cheap clamp on desk lamps. I use a tripod and shoot over a large range of shutter settings and pick the one I think works best after the fact. The lights limit my pictures and my lack of never having any education on taking pictures. You pointing out the lighting in the next picture helps me to try to know what to look at. Thanks again for the help.
    Firearms engineer for hire on a piece work basis.

http://weaponblueprints.com/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    Unfortunately I'm not seeing your edit of the picture. Feel free to change it as you think it needs to be. I plan to reshoot the picture at some point in the future and use a real ammo instead. Basically I'm trying to duplicate my dumb luck and any suggested changes will help.

I guess it helps if I actually post the pic......

Stick

Feedback Score
    Thanks for posting it. I fiddle with it before I got to see it and guessed what you had done and I agree it looks much better with the simple changes.

Here is a picture I like that I took but I think I can see some of the lighting issues you mentioned in my previous picture. Unfortunately I use a lot of ambient light and these were taken later int he day when I was losing it hence the overall lighting issues.

I'm having a real issue on how to take pictures of guns with very rich bluing that seems to reflect every color in the room. I was wearing an orange shirt that day I took this one and I can tell as well as you can see reflections of the room in it. I also need to oil the surface and wear cotton gloves when I take pictures of guns with high polish blue. What are your tips when taking pictures of high polish blue guns?

Last edited by Mongo; 02-15-18 at 13:15.
    Firearms engineer for hire on a piece work basis.

http://weaponblueprints.com/

Feedback Score
    Using an Iphone. Doing what I can when/where I can.

U.S. Army (RET)
    NRA Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerFish View Post
    New shot of my "new" 11/47 shipped K-22 Masterpiece with rescued Diamond Targets

Beautiful K-22. I think I'd like it better without the antler and showing a bit more of the magazine page instead. The Walking Liberty is a great touch.
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    LDB, there is a story behind this particular photo.
    I was born 11/13/47 and I now collect Nov. '47 S&W revolvers. This K-22 is my most recent and in the best condition of the K-22s that I have.
    The 11/47 American Rifleman came from my late father-in-law, a NRA Life Member and fellow shooter and hunter. The antler was from one of his many deer hunts in the 40's. He also gave me a Luger his brother had brought back from WWII for my wedding gift 37 years ago. We used to go pistol shooting together. He died in 1985 and I still miss him. He died at 69 and I finally made it to 70.

The 1947 half dollar represents the $0.50/box I used to pay for ammo when I went shooting in the late 1950s and early 60s. I would give them a dollar and get back a "box of 50" and a fifty cent piece. Since this was Oregon, there was and is no sales tax!
    Last edited by TriggerFish; 02-20-18 at 23:26.

Feedback Score
    That is very cool. You're a little bit ahead of me. I'll be 61 in a few weeks. I remember .22 ammo for less than a dollar a box in the 60's, maybe fifty cents or less sometimes. Good luck with finding many more.
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    I consider myself a decent photographer with zero artistic skills. I probabaly have over 400 photos with just these 3 firearms, and I can’t say I’m thrilled with any of them. Some are ok and some are dreadful. Critique these 3 if you will.

Gary
    Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.

Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast