Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: "Critique my firearm picture" thread

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Last edited by TriggerFish; 05-14-18 at 14:00.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    The picture is centered, and off balance. Making the image square certainly isn't helping it. The pic itself isn't bad, and reshot with a different layout, I think it could be quite good.
    I guess I had trouble figuring out what to focus on. What would you suggest focusing on in a grouping like this? Maybe I'll do another one with the cylinder in the middle.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerFish View Post
    Nice and clean... linear, but clean.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    I guess I had trouble figuring out what to focus on. What would you suggest focusing on in a grouping like this? Maybe I'll do another one with the cylinder in the middle.
    The concept of what to focus on is highly subjective. With images, you want to create lines and material which direct the interest to something specific. With something boring like my whitebackgrounds, the item itself tends to take over as there is little other choice.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    This was shot in my livingroom using a Galaxy S8. It is of my Benelli M4 SBS. I took the picture kindof as a "stock" type photo, meaning to showcase the shotgun as I've set it up as a whole, rather than emphasizing any one "thing". I am frustrated at how "reflective" the slab of a receiver is and tried to mitigate it as best as I could, I am both proud of how well I did, and annoyed at the other reflections that avoiding it reflecting led to. This in my opinion is part of what separates amateur hour from "decent hobbyist". Lighting control. The background is my rug. It provides relief and "texture" without being too distracting (my opinion subject to education and correction).

Slings normally don't photograph well, but I feel like I did okay with this one, considering the purpose of the photo.

-Benelli M4 11724 (swapped C-stock out for PG stock with Limbsaver. I just prefer it.)
    -Aimpoint H2 4moa in a Scalarworks SYNC mount
    -Metal trigger guard (OEM...yeah, Benelli civilian/LE guns now come with polymer from t he factory. I had an OEM aluminum TG laying around...) with a black TTI safety
    -Lead Faucet Tactical sling (I love this thing! It is by far better than any other sling I have used.)
    -(not visible in picture) plain rear ghost ring LPA (vs. the OEM one with "ears and dots")0
    -IWC Surefire Scout/Benelli M4 mount with Surefire 500 lumen M300C
    -Tango Arms stippled forend.
    Last edited by WS6; 06-09-18 at 09:38.

Feedback Score
    My AR10 with an iPhone 6s

Just thought it was a cool roll mark shot...was a bit darker originally so I lightened it up some.

Feedback Score

I'm trying here, it's been a while. Took about 10 pictures trying to get the composition right. Threw away 9 terrible ones, and am almost happy with this one. I wish I had the sling tucked in neatly all the way in the frame, and I could have moved to the left an inch and rotated clockwise a couple degrees. Ran out of daylight and gumption. Otherwise I'm happy. Pretty close to what I wanted to capture. I like these two firearms, they each have blue and stainless, iron sights only, and possess simplicity yet difficulty to acquire. They are fun to shoot too. This AK is a lot of punch in a small package.
    Thanks for the photog input Stickman!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    The blade detracts from the image, and the pistol is really framed a bit too tight.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    This was shot in my livingroom using a Galaxy S8. It is of my Benelli M4 SBS. I took the picture kindof as a "stock" type photo, meaning to showcase the shotgun as I've set it up as a whole, rather than emphasizing any one "thing". I am frustrated at how "reflective" the slab of a receiver is and tried to mitigate it as best as I could, I am both proud of how well I did, and annoyed at the other reflections that avoiding it reflecting led to. This in my opinion is part of what separates amateur hour from "decent hobbyist". Lighting control. The background is my rug. It provides relief and "texture" without being too distracting (my opinion subject to education and correction).

Slings normally don't photograph well, but I feel like I did okay with this one, considering the purpose of the photo.

-Benelli M4 11724 (swapped C-stock out for PG stock with Limbsaver. I just prefer it.)
    -Aimpoint H2 4moa in a Scalarworks SYNC mount
    -Metal trigger guard (OEM...yeah, Benelli civilian/LE guns now come with polymer from t he factory. I had an OEM aluminum TG laying around...) with a black TTI safety
    -Lead Faucet Tactical sling (I love this thing! It is by far better than any other sling I have used.)
    -(not visible in picture) plain rear ghost ring LPA (vs. the OEM one with "ears and dots")0
    -IWC Surefire Scout/Benelli M4 mount with Surefire 500 lumen M300C
    -Tango Arms stippled forend.
    Two different light temperatures/ degrees Kelvin is one of the first things I see. Like you said, lighting is all important, and perhaps the blue is actually a reflection off the TV, your shirt, or something else. It is a shame you the receiver is illuminated well, because that degree of perfection is lost in the rest of the image. A portion of this is simply what you are shooting with, and the wide angle that is involved with your lens for this shot.

The background is busy, and certainly doesn't add anything to the image. Had this been shot on concrete, it would have created a MUCH MUCH better overall look.

I agree with you about slings, they just aren't all that good looking in pics, but this one isn't bad, though it does still detract from the overall image to a degree.

Clean up that background and swap it to concrete, shoot the same pic with fractionally better light, and you will be onto pure gold.
    Stick

Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast