Thread: Whats a decent semi auto .22lr for under 300?

Feedback Score

Whats a decent semi auto .22lr for under 300?

I am not sure if I put this in the right forum so the moderators can move it if they need to...but like it says...whats a decent semi auto .22lr for under 300? I was looking at a Ruger 10/22...
    Last edited by .357sigger; 09-12-08 at 06:31.
    “We don’t rise to the level of our expectations; we fall to the level of our training.” Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC

CERTIFIED GLOCK ARMORER

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Ruger 10/22. If you can find one that's a few years old it would be better. They've recently gone to plastic trigger housing and a junky finish on the barrels and receivers (the receiver finish flakes off easily). If you're going to replace those parts then it really doesn't matter. I use the Volquartsen parts in my trigger groups and both have Tactical Solutions barrels.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Ruger 10/22. If you can find one that's a few years old it would be better. They've recently gone to plastic trigger housing and a junky finish on the barrels and receivers (the receiver finish flakes off easily). If you're going to replace those parts then it really doesn't matter. I use the Volquartsen parts in my trigger groups and both have Tactical Solutions barrels.
    Does that hold tru for the stainless models as well? I have found a few of those on GB in my price range as well as a few of the older models with the walnut stock...
    “We don’t rise to the level of our expectations; we fall to the level of our training.” Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC

CERTIFIED GLOCK ARMORER

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .357sigger View Post
    Does that hold tru for the stainless models as well? I have found a few of those on GB in my price range as well as a few of the older models with the walnut stock...
    I am not sure if the new stainless models are coming with the plastic trigger guards or not, but as far as the finish on the receiver, it is clear annodized Al so no you won't have the flaking problem. I have had a 10/22 since my parents gave me one for my 12th birthday. They are great little guns! Check out http://www.rimfirecentral.com for everything you could ever want to know about 10/22s.

Feedback Score
    I have a 10/22 T, .920 stainless, laminate stock... that I bought about 8-9 years ago.

Replaced the OEM trigger group w/ one from Volquartzen that I then slicked up a bit...a very very nice trigger job was the result. Topped it with a medium priced 3x9x40 scope in stainless and the end result was a very accurate, extremely fun to shoot weapon.

The .920 tube maynot be what you want...regardless, for $300 I am pretty sure you can get a good rifle. I personally love my 10/22.

Feedback Score
    I have 2 ruger 10/22's. One is over 20 years old. They are my favorates out of the 5 .22 rifles I have. Fun, sturd, dependable and reasonablely price.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I vote for the Marlin Model 60. Not very expensive and dead accurate. If you want to customize it, however, you are probably better off with a 10/22.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Try a Remington Nylon 66...great fun and very reliable. Extremely light, and they are accurate enough for small game. They are not built to shoot half inch groups, but they make up for it in their handiness.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The 10/22 has a lot of vendors offering everything you will ever need if you decide to customize it. The Ruger system is easy to work on. I second the suggestion to look for an older one for the above stated reasons. Magazines can be found anywhere. You can't go wrong with the 10/22.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    10/22. Usually pawn shops have them in the $90-120 range around here. After that they are like AR-15's with tons of aftermarket accessories for them.

Here is one I built earlier this year with a Hogue stock and Tactical Solutions barrel: