Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modifying a Velocity Scarab PC to accept a PIG cummerbund

Feedback Score

Modifying a Velocity Scarab PC to accept a PIG cummerbund

I bought a Scarab PC last year for work and the only thing I don't particularly care for is the cummerbund (and I knew that when I ordered it, but the other features were more important). Now I'm finding that I would like to have a more complete IFAK than the HSGI Bleeder pouch i've got on it currently (and I'd also rather have it more at the 9-10 o'clock position to get it off of the front of my chest). Having a cummerbund that accepts soft armor inserts would give me more protection when I'm not wearing my concealable vest outside of work, and it would make a more stable platform for mounting other stuff to as needed. Trying to keep the whole thing as small of a profile as possible, but the stock cummerbund keeps getting twisted when I put it on and it's gotten old.

The Scarab has three holes on each side of the rear plate pocket, one for each of the velcro straps that hold the cummerbund on. As best I can tell, I would have to get a seamstress or tailor (know a bunch, and I don't trust my own handiwork) to cut the pocket and turn the three single holes into one long slit to allow a full-size cummerbund to fit through it and secure on the back plate pocket.

Scarab cummerbund:

PIG cummerbund:

Has anyone ever done this?
    “Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.” - William James

"I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion."

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    It is going to take a lot of effort to make the changes you want due to how the zipper is sewn onto the back panel and it may be easier to sell the Scarab and purchase an APC or Lightweight Plate Carrier. The APC now comes with the Scarab style shoulder pads.

What is it that you don't like about the cummerbund on the Scarab? Is it not rigid enough? Do you need side armor? What features do you like that the APC doesn't have?
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    What about the Scarab quarter flaps you can buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    When I purchased the Scarab, the shoulder straps on the APC were too close together (I have an 18.5-19 inch neck and a huge head) and they are sewn directly to the front plate pocket vs. being on a ring to allow them to swivel a little.

I'd like to have the ability to add side armor to make the cummerbund rigid and able to attach a med pouch to it between 9 and 10 o'clock on my torso to get it off the front of me and give me a slightly smaller profile. I do use the PC when I'm not at work and thus not wearing a soft vest underneath my uniform shirt, and right now that leaves me with zero side protection. At least with IIIA panels in the cummerbund I'd have SOMETHING there.

The way the shoulder straps mount to the front plate pocket is what sold me on the Scarab. If the APC is like that now, then I may just sell what I've got and order one of those... just wish I had asked this prior to SKD's 25% off sale ending. lol

"I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    This woman replaced her cummerbund

http://www.breachbangclear.com/revie...plate-carrier/

Did the design change?
    Last edited by Mike Miller; 11-10-16 at 17:49.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ghengis Khan View Post
    This woman replaced her cummerbund

http://www.breachbangclear.com/revie...plate-carrier/

Did the design change?
    The back of hers looks the same as mine, from what I can tell. I'll get it out of my patrol car tonight and give it a better look to see what I can do or if I'd be better off just selling it and getting another PC... sucks because I'd rather not get rid of it. lol

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Again, why won't the quarter flaps work?

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Six feet under,

Size and color? Price maybe? Lol

When I had my scarab I considered doing the same thing but for me I grew to appreciate the mesh cummerbund and lack of soft armor compatibility.

Honestly the only thing I didn't like about the scarab was the unnecessarily bulky roo pocket in the front. I'm actually looking to pick up an APC maybe and run one of TYRs mesh cummerbunds with it to see how it works.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Again, why won't the quarter flaps work?

Doesn't provide as much coverage

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Call/email Velocity Systems and ask for them to make you a modified Scarab. I'll bet they'd probably do it, especially if you're looking to just run an APC bund.

I had a Scarab a while back (Gen 1- I see they changed the shoulder straps on yours). The original shoulders straps were way to long, so I asked them for a custom set. Turns out the new correct length straps were already being made, and they sent me a set, *but* they did listen to what I wanted. So, maybe drop them a line?
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast