Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pinnable 300BLK Can to Avoid Additional Stamp

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KTR03 View Post
    Prior to SBRs being legalized in WA I took two different approaches to do this.

1) I had a AAC Ranger 2 permanently attached to a 12.5 inch AR in 556. It works great.

The advantages are several: its a one stamp gun. It is optimized (buffers, gas ports, zeros...) to run with a can. I went with a large handguard that extends over the junction of the barrel to the can. Works great. Looks cool too.
    The disadvantages: Cleaning the barrel is a bit of a pain. If you get a baffle strike, you are going to have a tough time. I suppose you can drill it off, but I'll bet that the hole would be frowned upon by the warranty department. There is also a science/art to getting them to run really well. My best friend did the exact same system, same barrel, same everything, but with a Raider can. The backpressure is different, and it hasn't been as reliable as mine - which has had no issues at all.

So my advice, get a pistol lower, and try as many of these cans on short barrels as you can. Make sure what you get will work with your piston... Or at least, buy a can that a reputable source says works on your system.

The barrel shroud is another approach I took. This one was a 9mm upper. The shroud is permanently attached to the barrel. My SWR Octane 9 can slides into that shroud and sticks out the front an inch or so. Advantages: It is a no stamp gun. It also allows you to move the can from platform to platform. The disadvantage: heavier than it needs to be and longer (by a couple of inches) than it could be as an SBR. Another thing to be careful of is making sure that you take the can off when you are not using it. Getting a can stuck in a shroud, or worse, having it unscrew itself in the shroud sucks ass. I have never seen one of these on a rifle caliber, but they do work. On the shroud, make sure your bottom is unvented, so if you are shooting it without the can, you don't burn yourself with the muzzle flash.

Oh and when you sell it, its just a rifle... which is also handy.

SO it can be done. Either will work. Having said that, if you can get an SBR in your state, I'd just do that and be done.
    Pic?
    Quote Originally Posted by KTR03 View Post
    I had a local gunsmith make me one. Its basically a piece of steel tube welded to the front of a barrel (he preferred that to aluminum, and as it is subject to abuse - I agreed). It came out great.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    In all honesty, the shrouded barrel idea (a la Tac-Sol 10/22 bbl) seems like it may be the best solution. It should not be hard for a good machinist to make a 4" shroud that should be reasonable close to the end of the HG, and just big enough for something like an omega to screw on inside, leaving a couple inches sticking out for easy removal. Then same can for the 5.56 upper, and other guns as well.

Another option you may seriously consider is doing a F1 can and having a pin-able end cap made for that. Overall cost should probably save you a few $$ even using Ti parts (vs cost of a relatively light weight .30cal can), and then you can build a can that fits your exact needs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123