Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Benelli M4 weaponmount review, AVA Tactical Mod 1

Feedback Score

New Benelli M4 weaponmount review, AVA Tactical Mod 1

Received the brand new AVA Tactical "Mod 1" weaponlight mount yesterday evening. Over the years I’ve tried all the different Benelli M4 weaponlight mounting solutions, including Surefire M80, CDM Gear MOD-C, BLAM4, AVA Mod 0, and now the AVA Mod 1. IMHO, the new Mod 1 is an outstanding solution to the M4 weaponlight & forward QD sling mounting problem, easily the best to date. Most M4 owners are very familiar with the AVA Mod 0 and so I’ll focus on what is different with the Mod 1.

1. Fit & finish: The Mod 0 had pretty good overall design, machining, and finish. The Mod 1 takes it up a couple notches with alignment nubs / lugs at mating surfaces for precision alignment and gap-free positioning. The finish is impeccable and equal to other high-end aftermarket weapon accessories.

2. Design: Several big improvements on the Mod 1.

a. The most obvious being the Mod 1’s M-LOK slot in place of the Mod 0’s Picatinny Rail. I never liked the 1913 rail on the Mod 0 as I disliked the lightening channel machined into each slot due to it
    possibly causing compatibility issues with some accessories, such as LaRue QD mounts. The Mod 1 is a much cleaner & snag free arrangement.

b. The mount assembly is machined to perfectly host an aftermarket (Arisaka or IWC) Scout body rear mounting boss. This is great as these aftermarket Scout bodies are widely available for around $50
    and results in an absolutely solid lockup.

c. The 1” and 0.8” light body rings and other mating surfaces are machined such that there is greatly increased “gripping surface” between the light body / tailcap and the mount & mount ring. I included
    several pics below showing the 1” ring in use (light is a Surefire 6P w/ Z59 tailap).

d. The top part (near barrel) of the AVA Mod 1 does not touch the shotgun barrel. It “floats” around it with about 0.5mm equal gap all around. I tried to capture this is a pic below. This is nice as the Mod
    0 version could mar the barrel finish…a non-issue on the Mod 1.

e. Lightweight. Including all hardware, total weight is 1.96 oz on my scale with the 0.8” ring or 1.98 oz with the 1” ring.

f. Bezel Clearances: As you can see in the pics, the clearances for weaponlight bezels has improved and the system now accommodates the excellent Surefire Fury line with its larger 1.37” bezel. The
    SF 6P light in the pics has a 1.25” bezel.

3. Overall thoughts: I really like the Mod 1. I think it represents a major improvement over the Mod 0 which was already the best-in-breed weaponlight mounting option for the Benelli M4. Tons of flexibility to accommodate a wide spectrum of relevant weaponlights. Very well done! A nice extra is that it now includes both the 1” and 0.8” rings at no addl cost.

In the pic above, with no light ring installed, you can see the area machined to accept an aftermarket Scout light body rear mounting boss / lug.

Bottom view, perfect alignment due to the alignment lugs on the Mod 1

M-LOK on the Mod 1

You can see the approximately 0.5mm gap around the barrel to prevent marring the barrel finish

With 1” ring and Surefire 6P w/ Z59 tailcap installed

Head on shot, good clearance all around

Last edited by calviroman; 11-14-16 at 00:04.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Can you disassemble the M4 without removing the mount?

I do not mean to be disrespectful, but for disclosure purposes, did you purchase this mount?

Feedback Score
    Yes as with the AVA Mod 0, the Mod 1 mount attaches to the barrel hanger only and does not impact disassembly or reassembly.

No problem I should have also mentioned that I am not affiliated with that company, was not compensated, and was sent a loaner production model for my feedback.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by calviroman View Post
    Yes as with the AVA Mod 0, the Mod 1 mount attaches to the barrel hanger only and does not impact disassembly or reassembly.

No problem I should have also mentioned that I am not affiliated with that company, was not compensated, and was sent a loaner production model for my feedback.
    Thank you sir, and good review.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's pretty damn cool. I wish there was a similar solution for the SBS version...I think the light will be too far forward of the muzzle in that case

Feedback Score
    Mine in the pics above IS a 14" factory SBS

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
    That's pretty damn cool. I wish there was a similar solution for the SBS version...I think the light will be too far forward of the muzzle in that case
    I think IWC's mount may solve that. I'll have a review up next month.

Feedback Score
    I have an IWC mount on pre-order now for T&E. It appears to be somewhat delayed as they were projecting mid-Nov shipping. Not light related but I did update my M4 from an Aimpoint H-1 to a H-2 today. The clear covers are pretty cool but are a bit wonky on the M4 due to the low mount config. Might just remove the flip covers for this application.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by calviroman View Post
    I have an IWC mount on pre-order now for T&E. It appears to be somewhat delayed as they were projecting mid-Nov shipping. Not light related but I did update my M4 from an Aimpoint H-1 to a H-2 today. The clear covers are pretty cool but are a bit wonky on the M4 due to the low mount config. Might just remove the flip covers for this application.
    I'm guessing there was a delay as well. (Just for clarification, my Benelli M4 was used for the design of the IWC mount) I have a 3D printed model but do not have a finished copy either.

Feedback Score
    Yes the IWC site still shows what I think is a 3D printed prototype...may be the same one you have now. Between the updated AVA mount and the IWC unit, I think the 14" guys will be very well covered w/ two great options that bring a 6V light close to the muzzle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast