Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tourniquets revisited for 2016 - CAT, SOFTT-W or SWAT-T

Feedback Score

Tourniquets revisited for 2016 - CAT, SOFTT-W or SWAT-T

As a professional firearms instructor, I have relied on the experience and professionalism of this forum a LOT. I am no means a trained medic, but I read a lot; research extensively before I recommend anything, and talk to as many professionals as I can.

I am also a natural-born cynic and can spot a fake review for a product from a mile away. Growing up during the Cuban missile crisis, I guess you could also say I am a good example of why one should sometimes - to paraphrase an old adage - listen to the old man in a young person's game.

As one who would like to see an IFAK on the belt or person of every law enforcement officer in the nation (among others) I am a strong advocate for minimal kits on the person instead of extensive kits 100 meters away. This is why I am coming to this forum to ask questions about tourniquets and perhaps spark some discussions amongst some very knowledgeable folks.

I have seen pictures of the SWAT-T, but never tried it myself. I know and trust the CAT and the SOF-TT wide. (I currently have two CATs: one in my IFAK and a second one in my vehicle.)

Quite frankly, when I first saw the SWAT-T, I was less than impressed. I have now read many reviews, pro and con, and have come away even less impressed than before. Does anyone have any real life experience with the SWAT-T?

My initial reviews were that it was compact (and certainly better than nothing) but I don't know if I could trust it to work reliably in the field under fire, and while transporting a subject out of the fire zone. Reading the reviews, I found two extremes. Casual users seemed to like its cheap cost and size; medical professionals seemed to hate it. I also found evidence of a lot of fake reviews, possibly from suppliers or manufacturer.

Even more disturbing was reviewers not just talking about the advantages of the SWAT-T stretch-wrap-tuck design, but openly criticizing the CAT. So my next question is, does anyone have any real world experience of a CAT actually failing?

I don't mean to disparage the SWAT-T before I have even tried it myself. What turned me off was the name - trying to piggyback on the reputation of the SOF-T perhaps? - and the cost. I don't buy things that are cheap; I buy things that WORK.

Feedback Score
    We tried some in an EMT refresher course. One broke on me, albeit on the second or third application as we were self applying. Basically four inches fell off of the big rubber band, which still left it partially useable.

I would rate closer to gimmick than gold, but better than nothing. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Tourniquets revisited for 2016 - CAT, SOFTT-W or SWAT-T

I carry the SOF-T in my Medical bag and on my vest. Never had to use them but I figure, for a civilian, they came highly recommended and will likely perform better than a shoelace.

Sorry I have no experience with the SWAT-T.

ETA: Granted not many civilians have vests or L4 ceramic plates either, so I am likely an oddity.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-14-16 at 19:06.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Granted I have no real experience in these matters but what I have observed when looking at personal and premade ifaks etc is that the swat-t is only really chosen when going for a minimalist or slim kit.

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenhawks View Post
    So my next question is, does anyone have any real world experience of a CAT actually failing?
    Check out this thread for my experience with wear and failure patterns for the CAT and SOFTT-W. (That's not a "use the search function", just a handy thread.)
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...(Update-12-26)

Use the most current CAT (gen 7) if you go that route.

I like the elastic tourniquets for peds TQs and pressure dressings. They are an option for packaging in spaces where a windlass TQ like the CAT or SOFTT-W won't fit. They work for hem control, but they are harder to self apply one handed, in irregular positions, with bloody hands. More variables combined, more quirks.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Check out this thread for my experience with wear and failure patterns for the CAT and SOFTT-W. (That's not a "use the search function", just a handy thread.)

Oh, trust me; I have read your thread! I agree 100% with what you say in there. Personally, I have an orange CAT in an IFAK and a black CAT in a vehicle kit. (No particular reason for the choice of colours, other than perhaps the orange matches the blaze orange paracord that I replaced all my zipper pulls with on my IFAK.)

I use a blue one exclusively for training.

Feedback Score
    I have and carry both a SWAT-T as well as the Gen 7 CAT on duty in a professional environment (Police and Public Safety). As you know, there are pros and cons to each. I like the SWAT for the size and versatility and the CAT for ease of use and reliability. Where the SWAT-T can really excel is as a secondary TQ or as a pressure dressing. While not completely ideal as a standalone TQ it does work if applied correctly and is better than nothing.. It is also better for children. If its all you can carry, carry it. It does have it's quirks but I think the price reflects that and I'd choose a SWAT-T long before a similarly priced CAT knockoff. Our FD also carries them on the rig and on their plate carriers (yes).

TL;DR

SWAT-T for minimalism, price and versatility

CAT 7 for reliability, ease of use and pretty much everything else.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post

I like the elastic tourniquets for peds TQs and pressure dressings. They are an option for packaging in spaces where a windlass TQ like the CAT or SOFTT-W won't fit. They work for hem control, but they are harder to self apply one handed, in irregular positions, with bloody hands. More variables combined, more quirks.
    Thank you for taking time to write up the original post and then following up with this one. I was looking at the SOFTT, and that metal buckle - that looked like it might be more difficult to get latched with bloody hands and adrenaline pumping (shaky hands). When you refer to the "elastic tourniquet's" are you talking about the RAT? I haven't seen any of them out in anyone's kit, but I'm not a medic either.

I don't think I own any Gen 7's. Most of mine are still within exp. date, but honestly, I do not know what version they are. can you clarify "peds TQ"?
    Thanks!
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Thank you for taking time to write up the original post and then following up with this one. I was looking at the SOFTT, and that metal buckle - that looked like it might be more difficult to get latched with bloody hands and adrenaline pumping (shaky hands). When you refer to the "elastic tourniquet's" are you talking about the RAT? I haven't seen any of them out in anyone's kit, but I'm not a medic either.

I don't think I own any Gen 7's. Most of mine are still within exp. date, but honestly, I do not know what version they are. can you clarify "peds TQ"?
    Thanks!
    Doesn't really matter what generation it is as long as it's not ancient. Gen 7's are just beefier and less prone to breakage.

Peds=Pediatric AKA Minor/Infant/Youth
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticaldesire View Post
    Doesn't really matter what generation it is as long as it's not ancient. Gen 7's are just beefier and less prone to breakage.

Peds=Pediatric AKA Minor/Infant/Youth
    Thanks TD. I suspected it meant pediatric, but I've almost been wrong as rain enough times to just ask. Thanks for the input on the CATs. I do have some older ones that expired in 2005-2008, I do use those to train with but the ones I know haven't been exposed to a lot of heat or used are backups to my backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast