Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tourniquets revisited for 2016 - CAT, SOFTT-W or SWAT-T

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I was looking at the SOFTT, and that metal buckle - that looked like it might be more difficult to get latched with bloody hands and adrenaline pumping (shaky hands).
    In a word, no. It has its own particulars, but there are some things about it that mitigate them too. I also recommend working that buckle a number of times when the TQ is new to make the process a little smoother.

When you refer to the "elastic tourniquet's" are you talking about the RAT? I haven't seen any of them out in anyone's kit, but I'm not a medic either.
    Yes, SWAT-T, TK4, RATS, and any others similarly constructed.

I don't think I own any Gen 7's. Most of mine are still within exp. date, but honestly, I do not know what version they are. can you clarify "peds TQ"?
    Thanks!
    Pediatric use, or small diameter limb that a CAT or SOFTT-W won't close enough around to compress. I have had some IBOs that couldn't use a SOFTT-W or CAT.

Quote Originally Posted by tacticaldesire View Post
    Doesn't really matter what generation it is as long as it's not ancient. Gen 7's are just beefier and less prone to breakage.

Peds=Pediatric AKA Minor/Infant/Youth
    This. Newer CATs (as of gen 5 or so?) are also longer, which is helpful for beefier folks.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The Cat and Softt-w are superior for use as a primary tourniquet especially for self aid. I was a big fan of the soft-w, but am liking the Gen 7 CAT more and more - there is so much personal preference when in comes to those 2,you can't go wrong with either one

The swat T is great to have as a backup - it works on K9 and very small people/ children where a CAT/Sofft may not work. It also doubles as a back up pressure dressing and wrap. It's small enough to add to most kits and not be In the way. It can be used for self aid, but is much more awkward when compared to the cat/softt-w.

All TQs have a finite life span and breaking points when used in training - that's why it's not recommended to use your " real" TQ for training.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    In a word, no. It has its own particulars, but there are some things about it that mitigate them too. I also recommend working that buckle a number of times when the TQ is new to make the process a little smoother.

Yes, SWAT-T, TK4, RATS, and any others similarly constructed.

Pediatric use, or small diameter limb that a CAT or SOFTT-W won't close enough around to compress. I have had some IBOs that couldn't use a SOFTT-W or CAT.

This. Newer CATs (as of gen 5 or so?) are also longer, which is helpful for beefier folks.
    It's been two weeks in coming, but a big Thank You! For answering all my questions TC. I thought we had mastered acronyms in the MI field, but you medic types have your own language altogether! ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    I generally EDC a Gen 7 CAT in an Eleven 10 TQ holster. It can be IWB, but it's a bit bulky and the velcro can rub the wrong way if you don't have an undershirt. I've really only tried to practice with the SWAT/SOFT-W a couple of times, but as a non-medical/tactical professional with limited hard drive space, the CAT has proven to be the easiest, most reliable, and self-applicable TQ I've used. It's not the lightest or smallest, but I have a trainer CAT I can apply one handed with either hand, and it's simple and effective (the Gen 7 being even easier).

On a side note, EDCing a CAT, I've been stopped by security in some sensitive places and then subsequently searched for weapons, so you do have to be careful; wearing cargo pants and EDCing a CAT definitely makes you stick out like a sore thumb and can lead to unwanted attention. Cargo pants aren't terribly low-pro or grey man, but it's my personal choice anyway.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    My go to are the CAT and SOF-T.

I like the CAT for self application, one handed application. The SOF-T is durable, robust and has no expiration date. Both are top notch and the only ones typically recommended repeatedly in multiple TCCC and TEMS courses attended.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I came across this TQ on uncrate: http://samxt.com/

Has anyone come across the Sam XT?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It's very new. It is listed as available on Boundtree. I've been waiting on a reviewer I follow online to give feedback.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by contax_shooter View Post
    I came across this TQ on uncrate: http://samxt.com/

Has anyone come across the Sam XT?

It is brand new and I don't think many people have their hands on them, and if they do, there's likely an NDA because there's not a ton out there on it yet.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have had a SAM XT for a while now. It is very CAT like in operation. The buckle used to take the initial slack out works well- anyone who has used their pelvic sling or Junctional TQ will be familiar with how the buckle works
    The design is pretty good in taking the slack out and requiring minimal twist of the windlass to occlude blood flow
    It's a fairly easy learning curve as well.

Feedback Score
    We carry the CAT on our helicopter and the local EMS/FD carry them as well. We have been having great success with them. I also carry a CAT and a SWAT-T in my flight suit. As has been mentioned the CAT is easy to self apply than the SWAT-T so the CAT would be my primary for myself. I have not used a SWAT-T as a tourniquet yet, but have used it as a pressure dressing and it worked well in that role. One of our trauma physicians who is also the medical director for the State Trooper's SWAT and air rescue teams has had great luck with the SWAT-T in the trauma unit, but also prefers the CAT if you only carry one TQ.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast