Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 26" AR barrel

Feedback Score
    I will not be hand feeding, perhaps a few but it will defiantly not be the norm. I have it rattling around in my head to build two more precision AR's I already picked up two of the Mega SBU upper receivers. The first will be in .223 the second I'm really not sure of caliber yet maybe 6.5 Grendel or 20 Practical. Absolutly nothing wrong with bolt guns just been on a AR kick the last couple years since the prices have dropped from the height of the last gun grab scare. After these two are built I will more than likely build or buy another bolt gun I was eye balling that new Savage Stealth and RPR today in a gun shop both are good looking guns. I've also been looking at the Savage F Class guns.

Feedback Score
    uh, so you can swap mags/loads and have the potential for 5 hits per second. That takes about 3 seconds. What can you do to a bolt gun to give you rapidfire? Nothing, that's what. Also, if you'll notch the front of your mag, you can fire 3 rapidfire shots with the 80 gr VDL bulllets. YOu're really unlikely to hit anything in rapidfire, at the ranges you are contemplating, but your enemies can pop up any time, at any distance, from any direction. The ones you see may be a very small % of the ones that are within 1/4 mile of you, depending upon terrain, buildings, trees, whether or not it's daylight, etc. Dont kid yourself that a bolt action is enough. It's not, when you aint got a dozen buddies to back you up, aircav on call, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whilst View Post
    uh, so you can swap mags/loads and have the potential for 5 hits per second. That takes about 3 seconds. What can you do to a bolt gun to give you rapidfire? Nothing, that's what. Also, if you'll notch the front of your mag, you can fire 3 rapidfire shots with the 80 gr VDL bulllets. YOu're really unlikely to hit anything in rapidfire, at the ranges you are contemplating, but your enemies can pop up any time, at any distance, from any direction. The ones you see may be a very small % of the ones that are within 1/4 mile of you, depending upon terrain, buildings, trees, whether or not it's daylight, etc. Dont kid yourself that a bolt action is enough. It's not, when you aint got a dozen buddies to back you up, aircav on call, etc.
    What the hell are you talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    JC, lol.

Have a snickers, whilst. I think this guy's talking about a one way range.

Feedback Score
    You're not going to gain much with a barrel longer than 24, even with heavy bullets.

I know a couple guys who shoot long range with 24 inch AR's chambered in 5.56. They swear by 80 Sierra Matchkings and N540.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    If you want higher velocities with the .223, you might think about chambering your rifle in .223 Ackley Improved. It's much easier to achieve higher velocities with case capacity than it is with barrel length. The upside is that factory ammo can be used in the rifle to fire form the AI cases. The AI chambering makes case trimming a thing of the past too.

SamM
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SamM View Post
    If you want higher velocities with the .223, you might think about chambering your rifle in .223 Ackley Improved. It's much easier to achieve higher velocities with case capacity than it is with barrel length. The upside is that factory ammo can be used in the rifle to fire form the AI cases. The AI chambering makes case trimming a thing of the past too.

SamM

Thanks SamM that's a great idea I didn't realize until you mentioned 223AI that it would still fit magazine length for AR use. I hadn't even thought of it. I will more than likely still go with the 26" barrel but have it chambered for 223AI.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Honestly, I would use a 22" or 24" barrel. The increase in case volume average with the AI chambering is about 2-2.5 grains more or less depending on the powder used. I'm not sure that the 26" barrel is going to help you enough to matter much. That's just my opinion. Please let us know how it goes.

Do you have a chronograph and a plan to document your project. I'd be interested to see some results. You might want to buy a cheap 26" SS .223 barrel, have it rechambered and work up an accurate/fast reload for it. Then, chop the barrel in 1" increments to see what, if anything is gained. With only the cost of a barrel you could maximize the rifle (and barrel) to its fullest potential. Just a thought.

Hope this helps in some way!

SamM

Feedback Score
    I saw the 26" barrels on WOA website with an extended gas tube "2in longer than rifle"and figured John had put some time into developing that configuration. I will call and visit with WOA when I get closer to accually ordering the barrel. Dec is a bad month do to Christmas and January I get nailed on property taxes so my AR addiction has to wait. I doubt I get this thing ordered before Feb. That's ok I like to mill things like this around in my head a good long while before I act which is usually a good thing. I really think I may go with the 223AI. The barrel cutting and chrony numbers would be interesting. I've seen a couple of different articles over the years that did something similar to this I think the last one I read was with a 308.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I hear that! After buying a new tactical rifle, Christmas and upcoming taxes, I'm busted. Looking to sell a few things as I'm looking at another new rifle. It never stops. As I get older I realize that I need less. It doesn't sound like it. Even the new rifle that I just bought is now for sale. The madness continues!

SamM

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast